Muscle issues help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Saw a very good ENT consultant after a bunch of tests last week, who said I almost certainly have vestibular dysfunction in both ears, after I didn't respond to caloric tests (though all other tests were OK) and I have been given VRT exercises. These, he says, are likely to produce an improvement in three months and total relief in seven to 18 months. All of which is great, except he said he could not explain the muscle twitches and aches I have had constantly for the past two months or more althogh it may be a result of the stress I was feeling about the balance problem. He has advised I see a neurologist about this, and has put down "muscular disorder" as a possible alternative diagnosis. Needless to say this is causing some concern! I know some people have reported muscle aches, but how many? Has anyone had twitching regularly with vestibular issues over a long period? If you have any experience, pls let me know!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

PS there is also a nerve vibration feeling that wakes me up at the moment, felt in head and in arms etc, as well as very painful shoulder and forearm. Any help much appreciated. Bests, C
  • Posted

I do! I have muscle twitches in my arms, legs, back, sides, lips, and eye lids/eyebrows.

As well as suffering from this horrible vertigo, I was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy. I'm not sure if it's all connected but it's weird that it happens.

I know muscle twitching can be a sign of stress so if you're not having any other neurological symptoms, I wouldn't worry too much. For example, my legs feel heavy and I also have bilateral arm and shin numbness as well as facial.

Do you have any of that or just minor twitching here and there?

• Posted

Hi Hayhue.

Very glad to hear you have it too!

How did you get diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy, may I ask? Did you see a neurologist?

Mine are mainly just twitches here and there. I had a small amount of what I thought was numbness to start with (in foot, left hand, left arm) but that is no longer with me. I have had a vibration in my head/neck, too, but that  is now gone. It seems to rematerialized a little bit in my foot. But muscles have really been kicking off last few days – legs, but also back, arms, all over. I know it is a symptom of anxiety/stress and I have some of that at the moment, but am trying to work on it.

I was also just diagnosed with a frozen shoulder, which explains the massive amounts of shoulder pain and they don't think it is connected. Seems very very odd to me that everything should come at once, after 30 years of basically being extremely well!

C

• Posted

Same here! The last couple of months I have had the feeling of my muscles (especially in my legs & tops if my arms) being very tight & crampy. The soles of my feet feel like this too as if I want to keep stretching them out. I have had problems with my right shoulder and neck too.

i was told by my doctor i had labyrinthitis but have not seen ent. Told doctor about the muscle problems which seemed to get ignored!

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Yes, have seen a lot of docs, but the symptoms are so wide-ranging that muscle problems as you say do get ignored. I was told by doc I most trust that if I had an MRI and it came up normal then I should just stop worrying. Well I've done both of those and trying to stop worrying, but when the muscle disco is on it's a bit tricky to ignore it.

Muscle cramps are definitely mentioned by quite a few people with these issues. Hopefully you just have short-term labs and it will go in a few weeks, fingers xed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.