Muscle not repairing after hip operation

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, Can anyone explain what the procedue is after a hip operation when the muscle does not repair itself? Does anyone know of an expert in this field? I limp to one side badly and this is causing pain in the hip area and lower back.

I do a lot of physio anyway, such as exercises, aqua fit, rehab swimming, I assume this all helps or is it a waste of time?

Jean

4 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Jean, We are all at different levels,I had my op just over two years ago.To be honest,never again.I never had proper aftercare.I. As I am a full time carer for my disabled Hubby.So I am in pain most days,as both hips & knees are bad.I am too nervous.Also I will never have the aftercare.Sorry to rant.I have regular Reflexology when ever I can.Regards Amanda

• Posted

Dear Jean,

i too am in a great deal of pain after my hip operation 4 years ago, I have been back to the consultant several times and had a cortisone injection with ultrasound , all my consultant will tell is that the hip replacement was a total success! I can no longer  go for a decent walk with my dog , swim properly etc etc in fact I’m worse off than I was before the operation, I have regular massage and visits to the chiropractor, I am about to go back to see my GP do you think I have permant muscle damage since the op 

best wishes gillie

• Posted

Jean - I too cannot get my muscles back. I had a partial RHR in April 2017. I had delayed aftercare due to lack of attention from the surgeon. (surgery was emergency due to a fall)  I had a lot of pain from the fall and that caused the delay in PT care. No matter what I do I cannot get those Glute muscles back. I had 5 mos of PT (not the best) then I saw another OS who said just exercise more. I did and promptly developed Posas tendinitis.  That keeps me from doing much! I'm frustrated as heck . There has to be a reason the glute muscles wont respond to the exercises. I'm had a MARS MRI yesterday and will get the results next week. Jean, was there anything that helped your muscles fire?  I limp so badly my PT put me back on a cane - I saw a 3rd OS who ordered the MRI. Very well known surgeon - hoping he can help. But between weak atrophying muscles and Posas issues I can't get ahead !!  So sorry you are going through all this - I feel your pain for sure.

• Posted

Hi Jean

Ive just come across your post. I'm three years post right hip replacement and cannot walk without stick. Physio has told me it's muscle problem due to op and that it's not too late to rebuild through exercise! Did you find a solution?

• Posted

I have just come across this thread. I had thr of left hip. Dr discovered my

Gluteus mediums was in poor condition and torn off the bone, he cut some away and reattached it, but discovered 4 months post hip it hadn’t taken at all. 

Must note that 3 days after hip replacement I went to the toilet using a walker, it was my first day of venturing down the hospital hallway.  As I went to sit on the toilet I felt a horrifying rip and even more horrifying break, I screamed the worst scream ever, long story short they discovered I had evulsion of the lesser trochanter. So that bone was broken off my femur. This made my stay at hospital and rehab over 30 days. To me it was a nightmare. Now 1 year on I am

In so much pain, no strength in my hip

At all and still using a crutch. Surgeons after having an mri have found my muscle has deteriorated and has basically no function. I am at the moment preparing to have a muscle replacement and artificial 

Tendons put in to hold the new muscle, I’m nervous but I am going to be positive it will

Work. I’m 59, still work as an infant teacher

And I still want to work so

My hopes are all on this op. 

• Posted

let me know how it goes. same thing with me. I am 49. looking at muscle transfer also.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I think, you need to consult with expert orthopedic surgeon regarding your problem.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.