Muscle pain and weakness caused by colchicine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Some months back I went to the Dr with constant pains and loss of mobility in my wrist and hands. I was diagnosed with Gout and the Dr put on Naproxen, which did nothing, and then put me on Colchicine, and right away I started having problems with muscle fatigue, weakness and pain. I cannot even lift a cup of coffee easily anymore as my arm is so weak and hurts all the time and walking is sometimes a struggle too.

After looking online I discovered that these are known side effects of Colchicine, which would be too much of a coincidence for that to not be the cause, so I stopped taking it and then contacted the doctor surgery.

After going back to the doctors, I am now told by a different doctor that I do not have gout and my symptoms are even typical of gout since ,it comes in attacks and is not constant, so clearly I was misdiagnosed and now I have these problems to boot.

Is there any way to undo these problems that Colchicine has caused me? The Dr wouldn't even acknowledge the misdiagnosis or that the problem might be related to the medication side effects and has just fobbed me off saying that my muscle fatigue is caused by my working with computers, and has offered me nothing except a single physiotherapy session.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

t I do not know anything about Colchicine but have been suffering from muscle weakness which I have put down to side effects from blood pressure tablets. I was recently put on a course of high level vitamin D which made me feel so ill that I had to stop taking them after six weeks. If you do have gout a good cure is nettle tea . One pill I was given for blood pressure was

Lercanidipne  which later I discovered to be a calcium blocker. This caused such a huge and long lasting nose bleed that my wife had to get an ambulance. I am very wary of the pills that are given out like sweets. Rhodri

• Posted

So I was sent to see a physiotherapist who told me I have RSI (tennis elbow) which is the cause of my problem. So just a coincidence that it happened after starting colchicine I guess and has same symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.