Muscle pain/cramps/twitches anyone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. 39yo female.

About four weeks after I had my fourth baby in November 2020, I was sitting at the table and started to feel dizzy. From then on out I had dizziness, lightheadedness, headaches, ringing in my ears and sometimes only one ear. I had a vertigo type of feeling but it felt like I was moving and not the room spinning. It felt like I was on a boat all the time like the floor was moving under me. I guess that would be a off balance feeling. I also had some sort of brain fog.

Every time I saw the doctor they told me that my blood tests were normal and it was just from sleep deprivation of having a newborn. these systems were pretty consistent for about six months straight. they were starting to get better from being constant to just episodes here and there or waves of lightheadedness.

I got pregnant in August and had a miscarriage October 2021. I lost a lot of blood and had to go to the emergency room with many clots bigger than golf balls.

I did get a period in November. I bled for a while after my miscarriage and then that period came about two weeks after the miscarriage bleeding stopped. A few days after my period I started feeling weak. Then a week of that went by and I woke up one day with my leg muscles hurting and cramping. I had no loss of strength. A few days went by and this moved into my arms. Once again Charliehorse style cramping and twitching but no loss of function or strength.

A new doctor I saw checked my ferritin levels this time. My iron levels seem to be OK. Below mid range but still technically OK. But my ferritin was at a 14 on a scale from 12 to 252. He told me it was normal because I was a woman. Anybody else have levels like this or muscle symptoms like this? I have been anemic before, Mostly in high school and during one or two of my pregnancies. I had never heard of ferritin before now. my doctor did not recommend me to take anything and has referred me to neurology thinking that my symptoms are neurological even though my brain and spine MRI didn’t show any sort of lesions. Ive Spoke to a couple of nurse friends and an NP friend who says I am definitely anemic and all of my problems are being caused by this low ferritin. I’m not sure why my doctor doesn’t agree. On my own i started taking postnatal supplements because and it seem to have a good amount of iron in it and i had them leftover from my last pregnancy. I had my lab ferritin checked one month later (last week) and it was at a 47. I got my period today so I guess 47 will be the height of my ferritin levels. I’m going to guess that still pretty low even though it’s in the range of normal 12 to 252???

I started on Slow-Fe today because Im not sure what else to do. All my symptoms fit into the anemia box. Except I can’t find many people who are having the muscle twitches. They have since lessened now that my ferritin level is a 47 but they’re still there and i still have mild muscle pain. The only thing I can think of is that I’ve slowly brought my ferritin level Up by taking the postnatal for a month. Any insight from people with similar symptoms would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Bumping to top of list. Anyone?? I feel like im alone in my iron deficiency symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.