Muscle pain/ tears and memory loss

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi just wondered if anyone else taking orlistat and very low fat diet is having any similar problems last week i was walking the dog and turned suddenly and had really bad pain in my calf like it was badly sprained i could hardly walk home on it next day it was easier and felt tight but not as painful and day after felt much better however last night i took the dogs to the beach i went to take off to run and had sxcruciating pain in the same calf as if id torn it? It got worse as the night went on i can hardly weight bear on it and have been awake most of the night its throbbjng and feels pulsating and very painful? Could this be caused by lack of something in my duet anyone had same/ similar problems? Also im finding memory loss getting worse 😒 this is more since i started my diet?? im taking HRT have been for many years due to total hystrectomy when i was very young after the birth of my son ovaries were removed could I not be absorbing the HRT due to the orlistat or is it my diet lacking something vitamins maybe any help advice or similar symptons someone else has please let me know xx

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I have had the calf pain previously but not while taking orlistat. I very badly pulled my calf muscle and to me it's sounds like what you've done ice packs and stretches are best but best to see your go if it gets worse as they said if I had done any more exercise I would have torn my muscle so be careful. As for memory loss no have not suffered any of that. Take care. X
    • Posted

Hi yvonne thanks so much for your advice i must have done what you did i was worrying i was lacking something ie calcium or some vitamins it seemed strange it happened last week and also this week but much worse ill try the ice packs if it does not settle ill get it checked take care xx
  • Posted

Hi Corinne. I can't say I've had anything like this. It sounds as though you have managed to injure your calf. If it was a side effect of the tablets it would probably affect both legs. Either way I think you need to get it checked out at the docs or walk in (or in your case hobble in) centre. Take care and let us know how you get on xx
    • Posted

Hi meno i just thought it strange ive never had any problems before now and had it last week but much worse this week though diet or lack of it lol might be playing a part ie lack of calcium or vitamins or maybe non absoption of hrt. As having no ovaries i rely on estrogen ( carnt spell) only im getting tired irritable and cannot remember anything lack of foid or impending old age lol
  • Posted

Hi Corinne, oh dear, that sounds painful. I haven't heard of anyone having pain in their calf due to these tablets, but turning suddenly you could have strained a muscle or tendon without even realising it. However, with the pain coming and going it could be something different. I would get along to your doctors to get it checked, or A&E might be better as they will take an x-ray and then you will know for sure. I don't want to worry you because not all bloody clots are deadly of course, but it could be a bloody clot. My mum had one in her leg and she had no idea at first, just kept getting this really bad pain in her calf. This went on for about 3 weeks, on and off, and then this huge bruise appeared and she swore she hadn't knocked herself. So anyway, went to A&E and they said blood clot. Don't panic, I am no doctor and it is very unlikely to be this, but it is best to get your leg checked out. As for the HRT, I would not think the Orlistat is affecting it because your doctor would have checked your medications prior to prescribing it to make sure there was no conflict - at least I jolly well hope he did. I had the same worry at first because I have to take lots of medication for my kidneys and as my weight loss has been very hit and miss I wondered if the kidney mediation was affecting the Orlistat etc. but apprantly no, my records were checked etc before it was described. As for the loss of memory - lovie, that's just old age. Don't worry about it but just keep lists, lists, lists everywhere on everything - that's the only way I remember things these days. x
    • Posted

Hi hun oh hope your mum was ok thats awful im a nightmare for going doctors and hospitals think after my previous history i was there forever!! It puts me off some people having my history would panic all the time im actually the opposite lol ialways get seen under the two week rule if i ever go but i tend to leave it until the last minnow i know but thats me 😀 my mum has be fussing bless her ive had ice, voltarol gel massage ha ha you name it ive had it today!!! Its still swollen and hard but i can now put a bit off weight on it so feels a little better ill see how it goes just cannot excercise at min but ill live!! Thank you for your great advice is much appreciated hun!! As for my memory yes def old age setting in ill get my sticky note pad tomorrow lol xxx
    • Posted

Sorry not just my memory my spelling and eye sight on its way too after reading that back ha ha xx
    • Posted

Ha ha, you nutter. Go to the docs about your leg will you? Nothing worse than being in pain and he will be able to give you some strong pain killer or anti inflammatory pills to help. Thank god for mum's and their fussing - always make us feel better. I have a note pad in my handbag at all times, one always out in the kitchen and 1 by my laptop! Thank god for notepads I say. God I'm only 47 - sh*t, 48 next week!!!!!! How the frig am I nearly 50 - I only left school last year! No wonder my folks feel old. Have a great weekend babes - dread the weekend food wise cause it's always hardest but I have my supply of jelly babies, marshmellow, cadbury highlights and pretzels! Trouble is we are all at my sisters tomorrow cause my aunt is coming down for the weekend and she makes the best pear crumble ever - and I do honestly mean EVER. It is the best pudding in the world and she is doing it cause it's my fave and it's my birthday next week - bless! So I have to try and just have a smallish amount - that ain't gonna happen I can tell you that now. But I will try and have nothing but fruit and a soup before I go and then fill up on her dinner before pud comes out - she is making a huge variety of salads and various potato options with this huge pork shoulder slow roasted in all different herbs and spices for 24 hours - she is an amazing cook I have no idea why she didn't go into some sort of catering. She knows I am really trying to lose weight so this is her way of doing a "low calorie" meal - sigh! Anyway, have to be extra good today and Sunday. Hope your weekend goes well honey. xx
    • Posted

Hi hunny sorry been busy looking fir my sat nav to charge up need it to get to your aunts for pear crumble lol omg i just have to get there ha ha oh go take a day off and enjoy it its your birthday next week 🎈🍰 enjoy!!! I will go docs to see why why my 21 year old mind is trapped in this aging fat body!! My leg is a bit better calf still hard and bigger then other one but i can weight bear better ill go after weekend if its not better or the same x i havnt excercised because of it and feel like im not losing ive come to a standstill and its driving me mad i really want to at least reach a stone in loss arrrgh!! Thinking of having my jaws wired!! Why is it so hard you stick to it and i feel is slowed down how about you hows your loss going? Have a fantastic weekend honey ill see you there lol take care have fun and relax a little for one day at least xx let me know how it goes take care while i dream of your aunties food mmmmm xxxx
    • Posted

Ha ha that really made me laugh. I'm going to cut down with what I eat for the main meal so I can have a large scoop of the crumble - with custard! I am drooling at the thought. And I am not going to eat anything all day to try and save the calories as I am sure they will all be consumed this evening - plus more (although not sure that will have the desired effect because I'll be so hungry by the time I get there that I'll probably eat my own leg en route). AND I am going on a massive bike ride tomorrow to try and shift it. But 'twill be worth it. Yes indeed, you must go to your docs on Monday if your leg does not make a serious improvement over the weekend. And stop stressing about the lack of exercise as there is nothing to be done about that just now is there? Only stress about the things that you can control. You don't have far to go before you lose your first stone so just keep plugging away as you will soon start to find it easier. Well I don't know if easier is the right word as it's still hard but I think something does click in and your mind changes from thinking this is sheer hell and torture and you'll never do it, to being positive, it's not so hard, I can do this. Well at least that is what has happened to me. This last week I am in a much better frame of mind and just accept this is me and how I eat from now onwards - maybe it was the thought of a lovely meal tonight that has keep me going and next week I'll be completely mental with stress again, but this week has been good for me and I feel a lot happier and calmer - and calm for me is just unheard of. I am usually anxious and worrysome like a bee at the window. One final thought before I am offskie to get ready, I believe the weight loss is hard to shift as it is, contrary to what most people say, hard to put weight on. My goodness you have to eat some, and then some more to gain it, consuming AT LEAST 1000 calories extra every single day. You think about it, how much did we used to eat, and all the wrong choices, for sooooo long in order to put the weight on. It took me 12 years of no exercise, eating what I want when I want, no thought about my health or any of it, to gain 5 stone. Clearly it's going to take me a couple of years at least to lose and then I must continue to eat healthily and exercise for the rest of my life in order to not gain again. This is what I tell myself every day and will continue to tell myself until I believe it - as per my Oracle of a husband, genius that he is!!!!!!!! smile Speak soon honey, have a good weekend. x
    • Posted

Hi hun yes your right im stressing over nothing its taken 3 years to pile on the weight i have so its not going anywhere in a month lol couldnt stop thinking bout what your were eating last night ha ha i went to asda found muller orange and dark chocolate desert omg so gorgeous 99 calories fat free really yummy!! Wont beat crumble and custard but it was nice!! Enjoy your bike ride pad out under carriage this time lol take care hope you had a great time yesterday xx🚴
  • Posted

I completely tore my muscle 8 weeks ago due to pole dancing - I literally watched my muscle pop and the horredous bruising from the tear was disgusting! Keep icing it and rest it as much as you can, keep it elevated and see if that helps - ice for 8 minutes every hour zz
    • Posted

Hi kat oooh sounds nasty!! Hope your ok now hun x pole dancing eh well id like to see me pole dancing that would only happen if i danced with someone from poland lol i have rested it up and used brufen gel and ice i can weight bear better but my calf is still hard and bigger then the other ill go docs after weekend if its no better thanks for your advice hun very much appreciated have a lovely weekend xxx
    • Posted

All okay now just not risking the move that did it! How is it feeling today? xxx

• Posted

Hi kat how are you?? Im ok thanks i can weight bear but i still feel it if im on tip toes or if i crouch down i carnt put weight on it it feels hard and tender but i can walk on it but def not even try to turn quick or run thats when i feel it the most x hope ur ok its quite scary because your waiting for it to happen again mines still bigger then other leg lol if you know what i mean take care hun hows the weight loss going xxx
    • Posted

Hey sorry took so long to reply been so stressed and busy! I'm glad your leg was feeling better, how is it now? Xxx
    • Posted

Hi kat hunny how are you? My leg is loads better now thank you back excercising x sorry to hear your stressed out its not nice feeling like that and comfort eating!! Thats what i was like and thats how i gained more weight it gets out of control the more you eat you feel guilty and the more guilt the more you eat!! Distraction helps !! Keep busy and if you feel your slipping go back to your nurse and ask if you can go back on the tablets hope you get sorted its so hard i know but try not to cave in hun go see the nurse good luck keep in touch how you get on xx
    • Posted

I went for my weigh in today and actually lost a kilo, I have no idea how! Glad you're feeling better! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.