muscle relief

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Neil from Tasmania again, thanks for all your encouragements and suggestions,I was wondering though if anybody has a secret remedy for aching calf muscles and thigh muscles.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

When your incision is all sealed up, usually around six weeks, bathing in epsom salts is excellent. I did get in bath earlier than six weeks but kept my knee out of water... couldn't wait...good challenge getting in and out of bath, though needs care and a dry run first!

• Posted

Hi Ellen from UK here. I am 10 weeks post TKR and love my Epsom salt baths.

My knee is great but my back is knotted and very painful due to altered gait. Anyone experienced this and how long before my back accepts this posture is correct and stops causing so much pain 

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thank you

• Posted

I had back pain a lot for a couple of months, around 5 to 6 months post op stage when I was walking a lot more. I did lots of back strengthening exercises which I found on the internet and they helped. 8 months post op now and no back pain. I still continue with many exercises as doing gentle yoga.

Hopefully yours will improve with time and some stretching and strengthening ellen.

• Posted

Hi Ellen

What the surgeon didn’t tell me was the knock on affects of the knee replacement and in my case I had a 9 degree angle in my gate and consequently it was affecting my hip and lower spine.

Shazam immediately I had the op and am know walking with crutches ( 10 days post op) straight I have no pain in hip or back , so there are some positives.

Good luck from me in Tasmania, incedentally I have  huge family in Nottingham , I love England ( until winter)

• Posted

Thank you Jenny I will try as you say the excercises and am now seeing a physio. So fingers crossed
  • Posted

The only suggestion I have is to keep stretching muscles to help loosen them. I do calf raises and single calf raises on my operated leg and haven't really suffered with aching calf muscles. The thigh muscle on my operated leg did swell a lot post op but I was told that it was due to the nature of the operation. Try stretching them out, given them a good massage and ice them X 

• Posted

You have to stretch them. Soak them afterwards in a warm bath but keep stretching them.
  • Posted

I had terribly sore calf muscles. First they checked me for blood clots and it was negative. Then I actually went to my chiropractor who really helped me a lot! He massaged and then pressed three pressure points in my calf muscle and I could feel the muscle relax.....then he gave me a roller to use st home. Plus a couple of stretching  exercises - pulling foot back to really stretch calf being one of them (with a towel). It made all the difference in the world! 

Good luck 👍🏼

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.