muscle spasm

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone as similar problems to me. I have had alot of cramping pain on my left side towards the spine I have seen a gp about it and says it's mustoskeletal. A few days ago I woke up with the opposite side in agony and I phone the docs but they just said it is muscle spasm. I find it quite strange that the pain from my left seems to of gone and now it's top right of my back. Also how long does a spasm take to go thanks tracy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I get spasm in my lower back, especially if I do any gardening. The spasm is so severe that it stops me in my tracks and makes me scream out aloud. Sometimes I am virtually glued to the spot, barely able to move as even the slightest movement causes more pain. When it happens I take tramadol, ibuprofen, paracetamol and diazepam. Often on the following day I also have muscle aches further up my back, usually on one side.
    • Posted

Hi caroline sounds like it's simular to me I have to be careful also bending as I've pulled it out before now and that's a killer I'm stiff for about a week. I take I buprofen. But docs are trying me on Co dydramol. I hate taking pills at the best of times. tracy
    • Posted

Me too, but if I don't take any analgesia, the pain is terrific. Codydramol is pretty good. I have had 2 referrals to physio, do back exercises and have had traction which didn't help at all. I can work for hours, up and down ladders, cleaning, gardening etc then suddenly my back will go; its do unpredictable. If you don't do Pilates have a look online as the transversus muscle supports the spine and Pilates strengthens your core.

Caroline

• Posted

I will have a look into that I've had tests over the years but haven't found anything untoward. I don't do alot of exercise pretty lazy I guess but I'm ok doing gentle stuff which the gp recommended gentle movements to loosen the muscles. Just think my muscles are pretty weak because as soon as I doing anything like painting etc then it starts to aggregate my muscles then off goes the spasms again. In the summer I don't no if your the same but I don't seem to suffer as much think with winter you tend to tense up more.
    • Posted

No; although the spasms did start last January. Then suddenly last May I had difficulty walking as every step I took jarred my back and I had to slowly pull myself across to turn over at night. In August it all disappeared overnight and I've been spasm free until this week; after spring cleaning for 5 hours. With the exercises you really don't need to do much at all to engage the abs. I began with physio exercises then progressed to Pilates which I did find helpful. My GP printed some gentle back exercises for me to try before physio referral. It may be worth asking the receptionist if he could do that for you.

Caroline

• Posted

I usually get alot of muscle pain in my shoulders when doing normal every daddy things so I'm prone to basically getting it any where on the body but I have noticed I'm a stiffer in the back than I used to be. It might be worth a try get some info sheets on gentle exercize I'll give anything a try just to try and relieve. Thanks tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.