Muscle spasm sciatica?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm now almost 3 weeks post op.      Mobility wise doing ok.    My problem is at night my whole leg hurts thigh to foot it feels tight as if there's a tight band down whole leg to my foot.        Me still taking cocodamol but have reduced them during the day.  With full dose at night.             The painkillers don't touch this though and I'm not sleeping.             I think I haven't had proper nights sleep since the op.              Has anyone had  any experience of  this.      mandy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm 6 months post op and have similar symptoms shortly after starting my morning walk. I have been told it is ITband syndrome caused by the scar tissue tightening. Hardly a surprise considering the brutality of the op!  Mine was OK early after the op but has got much worse lately, sorry to say! The hospital physio has been useless, suggesting reducing activity etc!  However GP and other physio recommend stretching, obviously at your stage very carefully. Unfortunately we are given a too rose a picture(and are silly enough to believe it). It is a long slow recovery which can take a year. But we will get there! Best of luck, just listen to your body and be kind to yourself! 

• Posted

Hi. thank you for your reply. yes last night in bed i would have quite happily chopped the leg off pain was excruciating. i was wondering if muscle relaxants might help. i thinki probably had done too much yesterday. i'm a self employed dog walker house sitter live on my own and get no benefits so you can imagine how frustrating it is. my nhs physio hasn't even started yet but i've paid for two private sessions. can't wait to start to feel normal again.Mandy

• Posted

Mandy musles relaxants will halp. I use one wchich was prescribed by my GP . I was able to sleep better and did not have a such

bad spasm. Talk to your GP.Good luck you will be fine .

I still have to have done oposite hip and I hope my spasm which I have some time will go. Drink lots of water it will help as well.

May be you are over doing your excersice.

Take care Madla

• Posted

Hi Amanda, you only 3 weeks you in early stage. Heeling take time. About sleeping I had good night sleep after few monts and not every night even now after nearly 9 months I sometimes get wake up during the night. Listen your body if you are tired have sleep during day. Rest if you need it. Take day at the time. I used to have a spasms and some time I still have.

. Take it easy hug Madla💗

• Posted

Hi Mandy, the muscles take up to two years to heal. Try to do your  exercises and walk a little day. The I T band still decides to tighten up on me still sometimes 21 months on. Try lying on a rolled up towel from coxic to top of spine. Helps to open back up and release muscles. X
  • Posted

dear mandy, 

so sorry to hear this, darling ...

is it only during the night? muscle relaxants might help if you have spasms and tightness - 

maybe a stronger pain med for the night might help also ... are you sleeping on your back?

It is not uncommon to have an interrupted sleep pattern on the first couple of weeks - I remember the very frequent trip to the bath room and restlesness in leg - I was happy to have 2-3 hours at some point - 

Hopefully you can catch some naps during the day ...

You can also call your surgeon and make an appointment if the pain is that bad - 

just to get peace of mind ...

one tends to worry a lot during waking hours ...

big warm hug

renee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.