Muscle spasms

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am at day 14 of total knee replacement.  At night the whole leg goes into muscle spasms!  I cannot get to sleep.  Any else had this?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all

i had physio today and came back in horrific pain from the manipulation the girl at physio did.

the pain so bad it made me sick and it feels as bad as it did just after the op

i'm 5 weeks post op and my bend not great 79%

is it natural for the physio to cause such horrendous pain?

next week I'm going in the pool I hope I feel better after that

has anyone else suffered from physio like this 

Jean 

• Posted

oh no jean!!  this is doesn't sound good you poor thing.  personally my physio has never, ever hurt me.  i didn't think that this is what physio was all about.  do you think she gave it some welly as your bend is relatively low?  not that i think that is the way to go at all, i don't think that should be her decisions.  hope you feel better soon, jean. 
    • Posted

Thank you

yes she gave it some wellie but I'm sure she went too far...my knee is still badly bruised and swollen so I presume that's hindering the bend 

I ice on a regular basis and do the home exercises I really don't know what else to do 

jean 

• Posted

I was worried first visit to physio as the swelling was bad.  The guy was sooo patient and told me Inwas doing too much.  Ease off and elevate and ice packs.  So much better now.
    • Posted

No the physio should not be doing this to you!

I was about the same as you at 5 weeks and physio didn't do anything like it. She was worried about my bend but I got a review carried out at 6 weeks - am doing ok. However if my knee has not normalised more at my next review in five more weeks I may need manual manipulation. We are all different and recover at different speeds.

Am now 7 weeks today in fact and about 90 degrees - cannot straighten properly nor can I walk in a great fashion - I still use two crutches as I do not want to develop a limb after going through this!

I expect the pool will be good.

Tracey

• Posted

Ps In fact it sounds like what she did to you was like some form of that manual.manipulation which is done when you are under!
    • Posted

Hi and thank you 

I guess that's what she did ...but next time I'd rather be under the pain is still there but I'm icing and resting for now

jean 

• Posted

that is exactly what i thought, tracey but didn't want to say, not even to myself :-( but now, all trust jean had in her physio is gone. or it would be for me. not good.
  • Posted

Carol

My GP suggested diazepam as a muscle relaxant - it is used for people with cerebal palsy suffering from muscle spasms.

May be worth a go?

Tracey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.