Muscle spasms in lower back... help

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with AS for 6 years now and i am only 24 years old. I have not been able to control the pain in my lower back for some time now. I have been told that my physio is unable to help me any further. Recently i have been expericening severe muscle spasms in my lower back/bum and not sure whether this is normal or not? please help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi clare i get them also just let mine settle down on its own .i will you what i get alot i can be walking and my left knee gives way and i dip down the wife thinks its funny im not thoe
  • Posted

Hi Clare, I was in my 20s when I was diagnosed (52 years old now). I had terrible pain in my lower back and butt too. I took different anti inflamatories until I found one that controlled the pain and then once I was able to move a bit, I walked as much as possible which really helped. I still have to switch medication when one stops working but I still take them every day - and if I start hurting, I increase my exercise. I suggest you take as much medication as your doctor recommends and move as much as you can!

Good luck

Bridget

• Posted

Hi Popeye and Bridget, thanks for getting back to me. I am yet to find anything that actually works for me. I have been on a study,entacept and now humira and the doctors are now planning on changing this again. The pain is so bad now that I am on Naproxen 4 times a day and codeine 4 times a day. Trying to work a full time job with no sleep and this pain is getting too much. I have even asked for assistance from the government but i have been rejected. I think the stress of all of this is making it worse 
    • Posted

Hi again clare i jab once a week with etenercept it helps but when the weathers cold and damp i just stock up on co codamol n other super strength pain killers
  • Posted

HI Clare.  Im sorry you are having so much pain, I can sympathize.  What has helped me good pain management with medication and exercises.  Also I did a Pain Management Program that went for 2 weeks.  I learnt everything about the different types of pain, the psychology of it, exercises, hydrotherapy.  I use a TENS unit and a small electric heating pad when I have flares.  I also take sulfasalazine, tramadol and morphine patches and anti-inflammatory tablets. I get pain in my feet, knees, hips, butt and spine, and hands and pubic bone.  I have gotten used to the pain tho when I have a flare it makes it harder. I have had to give up my parttime work after I also got polymyalgia.  Now having less stress has made things easier.  Meditation certainly helps to cope with the pain.  I hope this helps.
  • Posted

ps I also use a polymer gel slab when i am in the car - helps lessen the vibrations - vibration made the pain in my butt and spine worse.  The occupational therapist at the program suggested I give it a try - I use it all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.