Muscle stiffness and weakness on Mirtazapine

Posted , 14 users are following.

I take 15mg Mirtazapine daily for the past 6 months and during this time I have began to get stiff hands and feet, acompanied by muscle weakness.  For example; I cannot make a fist or grip even a pillow in the morning, I have to use two hands to lift a full kettle, and I hobble around for about 30 minutes in the morning before my feet loosen up.  The weakness lasts all day long but the stiffness subsides. I was wondering if anyone else on Mirtazapine has these symptoms?  

It may be unrelated, and otherwise Mirtazapine has been a god send!  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Does list does list both of these as a side effect. I believe it is also happened to me. Can't be sure because I also have not exercised much or walked very much but I also went through a long period of not eating enough and losing tons of weight and not getting proper vitamins and minerals. Also still suffer from extreme anxiety so that tightens up the muscles suspend prolonged for very long time. At one point in time I asked my doctor about it psychiatrist and she said it 15 mg doubts if that side effect would happen. Seems like these doctors deny all the damn side effects from medications

• Posted

I've been taking 7.5mg-15mg on and off at night for over a month now. I took 15mg last night around 8:00 and woke up this morning at 8am to weakness in my arms and jaw, it feels like. I also have such a cloudy head today and can't seem to wake up. This is my first experience with these symptoms. It's really freaking me out.

• Posted

lol i know this is sooo old but i just came across it. i was put on 15mg when i was incarcerated for insomnia, ptsd, anxiety depression along with zoloft. i have now been on it 3 years. and im blown away reading this. my feet and ankles hurt so bad in morning. iv been getting pitting edema from my lrft leg swelling. all my labs and tests are perfectly fine. iv never thought all my aches and pains are from my mirtazipine. i feel like and old woman im 34. Arthritis at a young age runs in my family. so we have been going in that direction. im now looking forward to mentioning this to my doctor but shouldnt they know this?

• Posted

I have been on just 7.5mg for 4 months and for me the pain and weakness just started a month ago (maybe because I am on a low dose?).

it is unbearable. I am 5 months postpartum (prescribed mirt for ppd), and I dropped my daughter a few days ago. Didn't even know my wrists were about to give out. They just bent back to far and I couldn't hold on. luckily we were standing over the couch.

the pain in my fingers wakes and keeps me up at night.

i stopped taking them 4 days ago (no weaning off 7.5mg) because my doctor thinks I'm ready. My PPD symptoms have subsided and I am in CBT weekly for my sleep issues.

She had never connected the pain to mirtazapine beforehand, and i am scheduled to get xrays and bloodwork for rheumatoid arthritis next week. But i have had a lot more mobility the last couple of days, and finger pain did not wake me up last night, so i am hoping it will all subside!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.