Muscle strain? Fracture? Help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 24 years old, male, 150 pounds. It was about 5 days ago we had a nice day so I decided to take the doors off the jeep (they aren't light) and while putting them back on when I lifted the door higher to get it on the hinge I felt this blast of pain from my left side to the point I almost dropped the door. Finally after the next few hours were terrible to the point I almost went to the er because breathing was causing so much pain. Then it seemed to start getting better but last night it seemed to be just as bad as the day it happened. The pain can be produced by rolling over in bed or a quick movement and also by pushing on my ribs. The location is right next to my sternum where my ribs start on the left side. Does this seem like a muscle strain? Could I have somehow fractured a rib or something? I would think a muscle strain would be healed by now. Going to the doctor is kind of out of the question because my doctor is on vacation until next Monday and I really don't wanna spend the money on an er visit of its not needed.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You have probably torn one or several of the tiny musles that are holding your rib cage together and to the sternum. They are excruciating when torn and can take a while to heal.    You may also have costochondritis...ie inflammation between the joints of your ribs.   This can take many months to heal but with care it will get better sooner. Dont go lifting any more heavy objects,you need to rest those ribs. take Ibuprofen according to the recommended dose 
    • Posted

I wish I could take it easy but tomorrow is the last day of my vacation. I have been taking Tylenol and I have some left over steroids I thought about taking
  • Posted

Ibuprofen is anti inflammatory so is better than Tylenol. If you are taking steroids without a doctors advice do be very careful that you dont take for too long. Stop after a week and see if there is an improvement.   Try gentle stretching of the ribs...I emphasize gentle. You can also try ice packs on the site. You will soon know whether this is healing but it is very easy to tear that muscle[s] again so be careful.    If this pain should get a lot worse you need to see a doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.