Muscle/Tendon Pain with Hypothyroidisn

Posted , 67 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 4 years now and am still struggling with my endocrinologist to get my dose right. The last few months I have been suffering with severe pain in my shoulder - which a physio says could be related to my thyroid problem. I thought others might like to be aware that an under-active thyroid can cause muscle and joint pain - I certainly did not realise. I have been reading the info on this site and now I can connect other things like stiffness and difficulty walking upstairs at times, odd pains in other joints - knees, hips and back ache.

12 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

if you have a look at my first post some way back on this page\" Thyroid v old git syndrome\" you can see how i was at your point..it is nigh on a year now and i am nearly back to normal... go have a look
  • Posted

[quote:71e9ef234f=\"ally\"]I can relate to that. I've been underactive for 4 years following treatment for an overactive thyroid. I've grown accustomed to the muscle pain, aches and twinges and still manage to exercise without pushing myself too far. Initially I thought I'd never feel 'normal' again, but I accept that I have to make allowances and I don't let it get me down.[/quote:71e9ef234f]

I have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid and for the last 5 weeks have had real bad shoulder and bicep muscle pain, after reading this I guess I'v got my answer and it is probably connected , I hope it goes as soon as my thyroxine has kicked in. smile

• Posted

HI

I also believe that you shouldn't have to suffer this way. I've been down a rough, rocky road trying to get my GP to listen to me. You will find many of my complaints on this site under the username of 'ms'. I even stopped taking thyroxine and went for herbal (not that it did me any good).

Cut a long story short, I am now in the care of an endocrinologist at the hospital. I type up my current symptoms and take them with me each time I go. I have muscle and joint pain and feel I am so old. I am 36 years old and have three children to look after.

I wish there was more help out there for us. I, like many of you, just want to be able to get on with my life again. I have learnt to accept that I will never be 100% again but just want to be able to do take an interest in living.

I hope you get all the help you need.

ms

• Posted

Thrre is no reason you shouldnt be 100% again. You have to return to your doctor (hopefully an endocrinologist) and let him/her know of your  continued problems. I have been diagnosed with Hashimoto's for over 40 years. Any time I feel out of sorts, I get a blood test for mty thyroid levels and get an adjustment in my medication, I have been successful with levothyroxine, but there are other versions out there. Hshimoto's is quite common (Did you know that President Bush, his wife and their dog were all diagnosed with it while they were in the White House?) It should not be considered life changing. It isn't diabetes, or cancer, or MS, or Parkinson's. It is relatively minor and quite treatable and the basic meds are quite inexpensive. The majority of people get total resolution, with only an occasional need for adjustments. Untreated, of course, it is a serious and even life threatening disease - but there is no reason any of us should be untreated. 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with hypothyriodism only last week after years of aches and pains. I had suffered multiple fractures in my feet in a span of only 16 months, then contracted plantar fasciitus. Joints in my hands starting hurting and swelling to the point of being unable to pick things up. I was being seen by an occupational therapist who sent me for blood tests after i broke down in tears. I was also diagnosed with osteo malcia (which is weak bones due to very low levels of vitamin D) i am on so much medication its ridiculous but at least now i have an answer for everything.
  • Posted

Hi , 

i have been diagnosed  with Hypothriodism for two years  now, however i feel ive had it for many years. I have recently started suffering with tendon pain in my shoulder, knee and writsts. I am waiting for an operation on my shoulder because apparently the tendons are trapped under the bone. I woke up the other morning not been able to use my right hand due to excrutiating pain in my wrist. Doctor as diagnosed tendonitis!  Last year my knee give way and i ended up on crutches for two weeks, tendon and ligamant damage! i am absouloutly fed up of been in pain , please can anyone tell me if they too experience any of this ? i honestly don't think i can put up with it anymore. I am only 47 and feeling like a pensioner. 

• Posted

Hi Yana,

I will be 47 in July and I understand your pain!!! I want

everyone to read the following info!! As much as we all would

like to think that our Dr's will have all the answers to help us

get well,it is unfortunate that when it comes to wellness issues,such as thyroid,adrenal,and all other hormonal issues,even the endocrinologists are taught,in medical school,to treat all hormonal imbalances and deficiencies with drugs.They are NOT

taught that if given the right NUTRIENTS that we are deficient in,our hormones CAN and WILL be able to function

NORMALLY.Another thing to understand, which Drs do not

tell their patients,is that EMOTIONAL STRESS GREATLY

AFFECTS HORMONAL BALANCE and our ability to absorb nutrients from our foods (even if we are eating healthy)..and

nutrients are what produce and allow hormones to work

correctly! Onmore thing to understand..our foods are covered in pestisides these days,sometimes even the "organic" foods,

which cause hormonal disruption in the body.Bottom line..we can learn to balance our OWN HORMONES and get them to

work properly with nutrition supplements,a proper diet and learning how to regulate our stress in healthy ways,which greatly

affects And allows the adrenals and thyroid to function

properly! Lastly,medications like Synthroid very often make

thyroid problems WORSE and,at the very least,DO NOT HELP,

IMPROVE OR BALANCE THYROID

PROBLEMS bc medications are synthetic and our bodies

cannot make thyroid from anything synthetic.If anyone would

like to contact me for further info,I have alot of info for u!

• Posted

Hi Yana, I have an underative thyroid and developed calcific tendinitis in the supra spinatus tendons of both shoulders. It came on very suddenly and I am convinced it is connected with taking levo. After two and a half years of taking strong pain killers and being in agony, I searched on line and found a treatment called Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Therapy. The NHS uses it for zapping kidney stones and for something called Plantar Fasciitis, but not for shoulders. NICE guidelines are positive about the treatment. I researched private treatment and have had two sessions, one more to go. I have stopped taking ALL pain killers and my shoulders feel better than they have done for years. The treatment is very painful when administered but each session only lasts 10-15 minutes. There is some information on Health Unlocked under tendons/thyroid disease. If you want more info I'll PM you. 
    • Posted

I would like more info on this, my shoulder blade area including spine hurts big time daily. And recently if I pull my arms across my chest to stretch I hear crackling now. How did they diagnose/test for this calcification tendinitis?

thanks.

Layne

• Posted

It was diagnosed via an ultra sound scan which was done on the NHS.

• Posted

Hi

Is it possiable to send me your info on the underactive thyroid.........What you are saying, I belive to be true.

• Posted

Hello I am suffering with all the symptoms of thyroid problems including severe muscle and joint pains. I seem to be getting the run around with these doctors and feel I'm being misdiagnosed. I have finally been referred to a endocrinologist buthe of course my appointment isn't until next month. But I am definitely interested in any info you can share. Thanks in advance
    • Posted

Hi. Late in the debate. 

I have an underactive thyroid and Myasthenia Ocularis of the left eye, 

RA in my ' baby fingers' , and lower back and joint pains. I have had episodes of Telegium Effluvium and alopecia areata when on Levotiroxina now on combination of T4/T3. I am a tense person by natures so stiff neck is where tension accumulates. This is also connected to the adrenals. I have pulsating joint pains especially  in the lower back area. 

Now on a combination T3/T4 plus DHEA and ENDOTYR. 

Very active never been over 8 stone 11. Now can't shift that half a stone around my waist area. Going to fight thi s.  I use lemon and fresh ginger every. Morning. Great anti-inflammatory. 

• Posted

Hi Telle722,

I have been having the same symptoms and experiences you described. Did you end up making progress? And if so how is the pain side of things?

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.