Muscle/Tendon Pain with Hypothyroidisn

Posted , 67 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 4 years now and am still struggling with my endocrinologist to get my dose right. The last few months I have been suffering with severe pain in my shoulder - which a physio says could be related to my thyroid problem. I thought others might like to be aware that an under-active thyroid can cause muscle and joint pain - I certainly did not realise. I have been reading the info on this site and now I can connect other things like stiffness and difficulty walking upstairs at times, odd pains in other joints - knees, hips and back ache.

12 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi 

I have been on levothyroxine for 9 years with no problems. After introducing a squat circuit into my workout my muscles stiffened up in my gluteus, hamstrings and lower back. I put this down to the squats and continued. As the days went on  I stopped the squats but I kept getting stiffer in the muscles and kept trying to stretch them. The pain then spread to my hips and groin. I was struggling to walk especially after sitting down for a while. The pain/ stiffness then spread to my shoulders and then knees. The Dr have sen me for a scam on my back and completed blood tests for rheumatoid arthritus and infection ( both negative). The more I research thyroid function I think my muscle pains may be due to my thyroid medication. 

• Posted

Wow! Reading the posts here is eye opening... I never thought to check on my hypothyroidism for my issues...

I was diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica January.  Woke up suddenly,  30 days prior to diagnoses which I had to tell doctor about, unable to move in bed without excrutiating pain in all sides of my hips on both side, groin, hip flexors, hamstrings tightened up so bad I couldn't bend over, my shoulder wouldn't allow me to push covers off my body.

here I am 8 months later, tapered on Prednosone at 7 mg now...have crazy side effects! Can't tatse food, dry mouth, skin, acid reflux, lost 20 lbs. 

Now I'm wondering if it's my thyroid!  Primary doctor will only use TSH test. Rheumy just got my T4 test and it is high.  I'm on .75 Levo.

I'm really going to push to find doctor to help met get on NDT.

my favorite ENT doctor moved away!!! He said I have Hashimoto's but I don't know if primary doctor has this info or knowledge... Dang...I'm in such pain still and on this nasty corticosteroid...

What type of doctor should I seek????

• Posted

I just realized that this forum is in the UK and I am in the USA. But we all have the same problems.  I have been hypo for over 10 years and I dont think the dr can get the meds right.  MY legs and feet swell .  I could function for a while but now I can just about walk.  Endos keep saying it was something else but other doctors, and I have been to over 30, can't tell me what the something else is. The calves of my legs swell and ache.  Has anyone gotten any relief?
    • Posted

Hi..I am also in the US.  I just found this site while looking up my symptoms.  I have been battling all these same issues for over two years now and I really do not know what to do.  I almost feel like a hypochidriac at times.  
    • Posted

Hi, I am also in the US and have all kinds of chronic pain in my back and about 3 months ago it was discovered my thyroid levels were off a bit and have a small amout of swelling of the thyroid and put on synthroid (brand name) .025 mg daily. Since then I have noticed ALOT more pain, my legs hurt soo bad and I am not sleeping more then 30 min at a time and its starting to really beat me up. Its nice to know Im not crazy that tjis is all really a problem.and in reading all this it seems to be an issue that has start a few years ago, seems to me maybe something was changed in the medications and whatever that was is what is messing everyone up?

• Posted

I was dx 18 months ago with Hypothyroid, but I also have severe pain in my hips, back, in fact most places. I was then told by a Dr I have fibromyalgia. I also suffer sever headaches and migraines which seem to be tied into this too. Although I think I have had mild thyroid problems etc for a while.

I note that advice has been given to get your other thyroid levels checked, well I tried to keep a note of my levels but my Dr wont tell me and seemed to think I was challenging her dx, I just wanted a picture of how my levels were doing, she sent my to a endocrinologist and he was just rude and said he didn't need to see me. so that was very upsetting! It seems it's hard to find a Dr who will discuss this with you and give you any information on your condition, I've had no info on Fibryomylagia and am wary of asking for my info !!!

Good luck to you all, hope your conditions improve.

• Posted

Hi,

My Mum has just been diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica, but I am still not convinced that it isn't her thyroid playing up as PR is difficult to confirm.  Unfortunately it seems nearly impossible for her to get an appointment with an endocrinologist.  She's been underactive for over 30 years and has had problems getting the dosage right.  I am only posting as I am interested to know how much pain you can get if you suffer from an over- or underactive thyroid.  Can the pain be as debilitating as the PR symptoms?

The only other culprit we suspect could be the nasty statins that she was taking until recently. 

• Posted

I have PMR, Polymyalgia Rheumatica.  It's very painful until you take 15-20 mg Prednisone for a week, if pain subsides atleast by 25-30% ( still in 70% pain in mornings) then it's PMR, and if it's both sides of body, shoulders, neck, hips, generally. People 50 +, sometimes younger even.

The pain disables one to lift arms, such as to get dressed or shower, and lifting legs to get dressed, it's very exhausting. 

I hope she does not have PMR.  If so, there is a great group forum here as well. 

Hope the best for your mom. 

• Posted

Hi Anna, Thanks for replying.  I am doing a bit of research into what alternative treatments there are and so far I've come across co-Q10, vitamin D and something called 5-HTP.  All of them is supposed to help your body cope with inflammation better so I am hoping she can reduce her prednisole at some point.  It's really frustrating for her as she is used to being so active so hoping her pain subsides enough for her to at least start walking and maybe even swimming eventually. 

The doctors are not being particularly helpful though.  they haven't even confirmed that she does have PMR which is why I wonder if her thyroid could also be causing this. 

• Posted

Hi Layne.  Really sorry to hear that you have PMR.  And yes I am hoping she hasn't either, but I have to say that all the symptoms suggests she has, but looking for potential alternative reasons just in case.

• Posted

I'm glad to see this post as I am about to go to the doctors to discuss this very problem.
  • Posted

I have had most of these problems off and on for 11years getting worse. Please someone help me I'm I so much pain with a child that has autism. Please ....... My body is not converting T4 into T3 I have been on most all thyroid medication different levels more on synthroud about two years I begged for doctors to add cytomel seems as tho no one checks our T3 levels now I have a good doctor that's listening to me but I'm in soooooo much pain now barely can stand up. Doctor told me to stay on same medication for 3 weeks then come see him😥😥😥😥😥please help me that wasn't fate
    • Posted

How did you get on? I too am not converting T4 to T3 properly. It is possible to get a Natural Desiccated Thyroid (which contains all 5 thyroid hormones T1 T2 T3 T4 Calcitonin) without a prescription. I'm on ThyroGold. NDT isn't covered on NHS, I have to pay for it myself. I am on a high dose of 750mg per day and it costs about a £1 a day.

I suggest you create a new discussion as the site glitched at the time you wrote this post and I didn't get notification you had posted a reply. I suspect others didn't too.

• Posted

I've been really depressed lately because I have so many aches and pains. I keep it to myself because I sound like a hypochondriac and I think I am sometimes. How can anyone have so many aches and pains at the same time? I thought it might just be my age, but most people my age don't have this many problems. I have been diagnosed with slight hypothyroidism a year and a half ago. I'm so hoping that this is the cause of my joint pain, because then there might be something I can do to help the problem and decrease the pain.
    • Posted

Look in to Bowen technique. It has helped me more than with out it. 
    • Posted

I'm in the same position you are. I was diagnosed a few months ago and before then suffered daily rib pains. Along with the depression and anxiety I was a mess. Since taking levo my rib pains have gone away for the most part, but now I still get upper chest and a non stop ache in my shoulder. I'm speaking with my doctor tomorrow and hoping there's a way to fix my dosage or take care of the inflammation. For now try not to stress and speak with your doctor
    • Posted

Melody - I could've wriiten your post! How old are you? I'm 46, but feel 76 sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.