Muscle twitches from vitamin D

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I'm male, 30, vitamin D deficient (12.6 ng,), have been taking 2000 IU daily in the form of oral sprays or tablets, along with magnesium malate/citrate. Some time ago I started noticing wierd muscle twitching in my arms and legs. They pass very quickly, but I have never this issue before. It's definitely not magnesium deficiency, as I take it every day, and my diet is also high in magnesium, with bananas, quinoa, seeds, etc. Can it be calcium deficiency? I do eat dairy and leafy greens on a regular basis, but maybe just not enough. Furthermore, Am I right in assuming magnesium can actually deplete calcium stores? I also have parsley, sauerkraut and broccoli to get vitamin K and chicken liver for vitamin A and Bs.

I need your advice, thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

how much elemental magnesium are you taking via supplements each day?

Vit d supplementation increases the uptake of calcium from your diet, so unless your doctor says so or you a have a dairy free diet (which you dont), I would not start taking calcium supplements. I wouldn't think low calcium will be your problem.

The twitching may be due to the extra calcium that is being taken in due to the D supplements (as calcium causes muscle contraction)... Or just your body readjusting now it has more of the nutrients it needs... Or maybe you aren't taking as much magnesium as you think/need... Or maybe you need k2 supplements. in addition to what you're getting via diet.

Also, the amount of D you are on seems quite low for your levels. I was at around 11ng/ml and have been taking between 5000iu - 9000iu of D a day for the past few months (I haven't had my levels rechecked yet though). I also take 400mg of magnesium (glycinate) a day and 250ug k2

I did used to get twitching in my eye and finger, but this has stopped since I started the vit D, magnesium and k2 supplements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.