Muscle twitches? Is this normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For as long as I can remember ever since I was diagnosed with GAD I've had muscle twitches. They kind of feel like bubbles under your skin. I mostly get them on my arms, thighs, and thumbs. If I pay close attention I cal actually see my body part twitch/spasm. It's not painful at all, it's just weird and freaky. I can go about my day even without feeling anxious and I will get these twitches. It looks like my muscle is being sucked into my body repeatedly! I've looked it up on YouTube and mine are no where near extreme as the ones on YouTube. These are little twitches. I did ask my doctor about it and she said they could be normal. I just want to know that I'm not the only one experiencing these weird muscle twitches. And is it common with anxiety/stress? It mostly happens when I'm resting.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I get twitches when I'm at my peak of an anxiety attack. I think because I get so scared and nervous that my body starts to tense up and then I start to get scared that I'm having a seizure or something. Every so often I may get a little twitch in my arm or leg out of nowhere but I thinks it's bc I'm so tense b of everything my body is trying to Loosin up my muscles. Shoot I have been having dizzy spells and burning sensation in my head. Now that is scary but everyone doctors and family convince me it's just my mind playing tricks on me. Also j fee as tho when I rest is when my anxiety is heightened bc that is when I think the most. So maybe that is why that happens to you.
    • Posted

Thank you natcali. It makes sense what you say, about lying down and that's when you think most about your anxiety, because it is true! I'm having many symptoms right now as I am typing this, a horrible headache, ear pressure, dizziness, and just feeling weird to where I'm like "woah". Then I get that funny feeling in my stomach because I start to worry. My doctor gave me a muscle relaxer for my head pressure since its like a tension headache. The medicine could cause the dizziness but it's still a scary feeling. I've gone to doctors also and have had many tests done like cut scans and MRI to use out stuff and I'm still feeling symptoms. I hope it's all anxiety
    • Posted

I get it completely. We just have to tell ourselves that we are making these manifestations. We are making ourselves sick. What did the results say from MRi and cat scan? My family and friends tell me everything that is happening is from my anxiety and I'm letting it get the best of me. And I can t let that happen even if it is. Our mind plays tricks on us and we feed it with our bad thoughts. Believe me I am so hard on myself and I am constantly 2nd guessing everything and we just can't be hard ourselves that only makes it worse. I have done a lot of partying in my life and I tend to beat myself up saying did I do damage to my brain is this what I have done to myself. Then I remember that I was young and dumb and sh*t happens and I cannot beat up myself over the past. If you are having bad anxiety right now maybe go on a walk or watch funny you tube videos. Got to make yourself stay busy and laugh. Sometimes I feel like I havnt laughed in awhile and that is something that we need everyday!
  • Posted

Yep I get this even when I think Im feeling calm. It's also common with people without anxiety, they just don't worry about it. However, if it continues to bother you there is no harm in mentioning it in your next general check up!
    • Posted

I get these all the time. At one point, I managed to convince myself I had terrible neuro disorder and was dying. You bet my twitches got even worse because I was in such a state! I too thought that the twitches were happening when I was calm rather than anxious, but really, they were happening all the time, I just noticed them more when I was calm and resting. My doctor gave me diazepam to take for a few weeks, this relaxed my muscles and the twitches stopped. This was helpful to show me that it was down to anxiety. I still get them now, but because I believe they are due to anxiety, they never get as bad as they did before. I would mention it to your GP on your next appointment and try not to get too worked up about it. It's just another lovely symptom of anxiety come to mess with your head!!! Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.