Muscle twitches/spasms? Is this symptom of anxiety?

Posted , 8 users are following.

For as long as I can remember, even back to my childhood years maybe starting at 10 (when my anxiety started), I started having these muscle twitches/spasms.

The perfect way to describe them is a sense of vibration or bubbles under my skin. If I look at the area, I can see it pulsing/twitching. Happens for a few seconds and then goes away

When I was 21 (when my anxiety got worse) I asked my doctor about it. He asked me how long have I had them and I said since I was little. He never said it was bad. He just said I'm fine

Now a year later my anxiety is even worse, and so are the spasms. I asked my new doctor and she said they could and are probably normal. I began to think I had MS or a neurological disease. I later had a scare of having a brain tumor and got an MRI done. Doctor said there was no sign of tumor or disease. So I thought I was clear of the MS diagnosis.

my anxiety is still bad, practically even worse now and I'm still getting these twitches in my legs, thighs, sometimes arms and even on my hand where my thumb is at.

I've read that it's a symptom of anxiety but I want to see if anyone else gets these, now I'm terrified I could possibly have MS, Parkinson's or ALS.

I've had bloodwork done and my doctor says all is normal, so I'm not sure if it's a deficiency of anything.

Please any advice will help. I feel the bubbles under my skin as I'm typing this! I don't want to be terrified anymore

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I too still get muscle twitching / spasms mainly in my legs, when it first happened to me 11 years ago I honestly thought I had dvt to be told by a nurse in a&e that dvt workshy be in both legs just one. I can laugh about it now but at the time I was convinced there was something wrong with me. 11 years later in still here, still have periods of bad anxiety but I've learned to live with my muscle twitches

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi muscle twitching and spasms are definetly caused by adrenalin and other stress hormones going through the body it affects the nerve endings small blood vessels etc it's not dangerous just annoying, once you stop focusing on it, it'll go away only thing is if you suffer from anxiety it'll be replaced by some other symptom I know cause I've had every symptom you can think off, all caused by anxiety

Try not to worry easier said than done but you'll look back on all this one day

Take care x

• Posted

Hi I am 35 years old I been dealing with anxiety on and off since I was 18 years old I been dealing with bad muscle spasms in my neck and my shoulder is a very painful so I know what you g muscle spasms in my neck and my shoulder is a very painful so I know What u go through I am also thinking something is wrong with me I thought I had a brain tumor heart condition you name it I thought I had them it's a mess the family to go tomorrow hope you feel better
  • Posted

Hi, Poor thing you are so young to be having this. Try taking some magnesium supplements. You could be low on magnesium and thats what would cause that, also sometimes spasms and twitching are changes in blood pressure. Try to eat a stable diet. Check for any vit deficiencies. Take some lorazapam to calm you, don't worry about something so severely wrong as Dr. has checked you out for life threatening illness and has ruled it out. Try accupuncture and holistic healing. Check you home and environment for hidden molds and dusts, and maybe get allergy checked. 
  • Posted

Yes yes yes tingling, muscle twiches, my ear muscle inside sometimes does that twitchy thing..ugh so many weird sensations come from anxiety. I use vitamins, i drink water and eat right still these weird things occur. I have thought of MS too,  but i had a brain mri  for another ailment and it was fine. I guess it the nerve ending in our body spasming or something as a result of constant anxiety. Sometimes its sleep positions that set it off too, but i get that stuff.
  • Posted

Hi,

I know it's been 2 years since this post, but I was wondering are you still experiencing these terrible feelings? I have constant muscle twitches and vibrations/spasms all over my body and it's driving me insane! I'm going to get an MRI on the 23rd and I'm so nervous. Have you found any cure or treatment? Thank you very much,

Kandyse

• Posted

Hi kandyflan

I seen your post as I too was looking up these symptoms. I have really bad anxiety and when one thing goes away, it's replaced by another. I've been to the doctors more times than anyone I know. I doctor shop too as I get paranoid that they won't take me seriously. I have started having twitching all over. Not all the time but it happens every day. It all started when I got vibration in my right leg together with twitching. I started focusing on it too much and now I have twitching everywhere which comes and goes rolleyes I'm almost certain it's nothing as my doc says if it were bad I would have other symptoms too. I'm soo scared and am constantly checking my legs for muscle wastage. Crazy right, let me know how you go with your MRI. I'm willing to bet it's anxiety and the more you focus on it the worse it gets. You're not alone smile

• Posted

Hi nikkicrofty,

MRI was all normal. No signs of anything. Just hate feeling this way all the time! Most of my symptoms are in my face and eyes which made me think I had some kind of neurological disease. But I've had both an MRI and CT scan and both came out normal. So I think I'm blaming this on the cruel A word. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.