Muscle twitching

Posted , 2 users are following.

I began noticing muscle twitching September 2020. I didn’t think a whole lot of it because it’s not painful but it was in several different muscles all over my body. I started looking things up online and one of the first things I found was ALS. I’ve been to the doctor and he checked electrolytes and a few other things and came up with nothing and now I’m supposed to go see a neurologist but I am wondering if this could possibly be caused from anxiety. I have had anxiety since and I was in my 20s but I didn’t know what it was until probably 5 to 10 years ago I have severe anxiety and worry and obsessive thoughts and now I’m just scared to death that I have ALS. Has anybody else ever had twitching symptoms in every body part just randomly throughout the day all day that turned out to be related to anxiety and was nothing serious? I really hope I don’t have a terminal disease but I’m freaking out I have five kids my youngest is 11 and I have seven grandkids.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I want you to know that when I was in my 20s I had the muscle twitching start suddenly and I was terrified! I had a few other symptoms that turned out to be anxiety related also. My dad took me to a neurologist and everything was fine. I know a lot about this because I actually still get twitching every now and then when I am anxious. I am in my 50s now and very healthy.

Also, you might want to know that I saw a top neurologist for an issue I was having in my leg and he told me that ALS is not a sensory condition. In other words you won’t feel anything like twitching or pulling or anything like that. those muscle twitches as it relates to ALS actually may or may not come in the later stage of the disease. It’s not something you see in the beginning. this doctor is brilliant and has been in practice for many years!

Actually there’s something called benign fasciculation’s and that is what I get which is the twitching but they are harmless. In fact many athletes get twitching all the time with how they use their muscles!

I do hope this makes you feel a lot better! We have to be careful what we read online because it does not pertain to our individual situation. muscle twitching can actually be from electrolyte in balance is like calcium, etc. which is an easy fix. But like I said, I still get the twitches with my anxiety so I really hope this made you feel a lot better! I wanted to hurry and write to you so you could relax. ❤

• Edited

sorry I meant to say twitching can also be caused by an electrolyte imbalance which is an easy fix.

• Edited

Good I’m glad you feel a little better. They are just very annoying but benign fasciculation’s are nothing to worry about. I wish more doctors would explain that to people. ❤.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.