muscle weakness

Posted , 5 users are following.

This was one of the first symptoms I went to my GP with but she didn't think it was significant – perhaps just down to age (I was 69). I thought I had considerably less strength in my legs than my peers. If I want to run for a bus I can only sort of shuffle! Then I was diagnosed with systemic scleroderma last year, which explained the Raynauds, bowel changes, lung changes, weight loss etc etc.

So now I'm wondering if the muscle weakness is part of the scleroderma, but no one has mentioned it. I will ask the rheumatologist when I next see her but do other people have experience of this? It sounds terrifying as it seems it can get worse to the point where you find it difficult to get up out of a chair!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi I have the same problems I have Lupus, arthritis and a few auto immune diseases latching on

I am now 67 and very slow in walking 2 knee replacements and awaiting a hip replacement

find it impossible sometimes to get out of the sitting position

hope you find some answers soon

take care xx

• Posted

Hi Sue

Yes its part of Scleroderma ( Ive had it for 10 Years) among other things. I`m 68.

You will find that your GP will have very little knowledge of Scleroderma, the same with nurses. Not their fault as the condition is not very common at all. And extremely rare in men.

Your next step (as with me) is to get an appointment with a Musculo Skeletal Consultant. They cover more Auto-immune conditions than Rheumatologists. And may well be more specific on your condition.

I`ve just found this site and I have just posted a short history of my 10 year journey.

Do not forget that depression is part of this condition, you cannot help it, it just is. I wasnt aware of this, I just thought I wasnt coming to terms with fact that I had a condition that there was no cure for!.

Depression makes you extremely lethargic and defeatist. You sound as if you are at this point in your condition now. This is the time to help yourself and those closest to you who feel helpless as well.

There doesn`t have to be a cure, you just need people around you and medicines etc, to live your natural life span. But the most important aid for you is you.

John

• Posted

It's not specifically mentioned as a symptom... kinda makes me think you may have an over lapping condition regarding your mussels. You may wish to ask to see a doctor that deals just with mussel diseases (perhaps a MS Dr), they often see patients with multi types of mussel issues.

Hang in there Sue!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.