Muscle weakness, achy stiff bones

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I’m 33 years old and have been feeling really weak, tired, my muscles feel weak and stiff. What can I do or take to help with this. I have three small kids and need my strength and energy to keep up with them. I’m going to see my doctor next week. Recently been diagnosed with Graves Disease.  Thank you friends. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I really feel for you especially since you have young children to look after and that is a full time job in itself.  I have Graves disease which wasn't obvious when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.  I have since developed double vision but I feel I have been unlucky here as only a few folk get this in addition to TED although a prism on my left lens of my glasses has mostly sorted this. The Endocrinologist at the local hospital suggests that my thyroid count which bounces from Hyper to Hypo may take two years to settle down although hopefully yours won't take that long.  In the meantime call on as many reliable people you can muster to help you with your children and try to snatch as much rest as you can. And it is important that you eat well to conserve your strength - easier said than done with three little people to sort out.  Hopefully you have a good endocrinologist too.  I wish you all the best.

• Posted

I too have Graves’ disease but in remission at present I have been suffering terrible with pain in neck and shoulders bloods done and Rhumatoid factors are raised gp seems to think once you have one autoimmune disease you can get another one so worth checking good luck x
  • Posted

Hi Pam21, hyperthyroidism can cause muscle wasting, weakness and muscle pain. From my experience (and also listed as a side effect) anti-thyroid drugs like Carbimazole can cause joint and muscle stiffness and pain. This is more likely to happen at higher daily doses. (My initial dose was 30mg Carbimazole per day.)

In my case, the muscle and joint stiffness subsided considerably after my thyroid levels normalised. Also, my anti-thyroid dose was reduced about 5 weeks ago to 20mg Carbimazole per day. 

If, while resting, you experience a burning sensation in your muscles (as if you are lifting a heavy weight) then your L-Carnitine levels might be low. Some hyperthyroid patients may have an L-Carnitine deficiency. L-Carnitine plays a role in the fuel metabolism of skeletal muscles. 

• Posted

That's interesting I have graves and I often get a burning pain in my left shoulder blade area. Do you need a blood test for the l cartinine?

• Posted

A localised pain around the shoulder blade area could also be caused by tight muscles. This can often improve by massaging trigger points, stretching, and exercising.

To stretch the muscles in the left shoulder blade area you can sit on the edge of your bed with your legs spread at a 90-degree angle and your feet firmly on the floor. With your right hand grab your left hand and place it around 20cm to the right of your right knee. Your left hand should rest on the bed and your right hand should hold it in place. Now lean forward. By varying how much you lean forward and varying the position of your left hand you can try to stretch precisely the tight muscles of your shoulder blade.

L-Carnitine deficiency is more likely to affect the large skeletal muscles in general, legs,  arms, shoulders, back, etc. L-Carnitine deficiency may be found in patients that have been hyperthyroid for some time and yes there is a blood test to determine that. 

• Posted

Thank you want do you suggest for people to take with L-Carnitine deficiency. 
  • Posted

You really need to tell your GP all of your symptoms if necessary go with a bullet point list. I have lots of aches and pains and joints are stiff more so in the morning. Hope you can get some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.