Muscle weakness returns 4 yrs after lacunar stroke?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had a mild lacunar stroke in 2013--mostly foot drop and arm/leg weakness- in hosp for 7 days, then home. No aphasia.  I worked extremely hard at  physical therapy and exercised immediately/daily after MD said the first 6 weeks post-stroke are CRITICAL time to rebuild brain/muscle reconnect.   No problem! I hooked my dog's leash to the walker and  zoomed up and down the street, not caring who saw me.  Great improvement, used a cane once in a while after, but only mild weakness.

But in last 6 -10 months I have very strong -leg only- weakness in the morning, (almost dragging the leg, really bad)  slight improvement after, a lot of fatigue all day. Deep ache in back of thighs, at "sitting bones" area.  I don't think I had another stroke (no symptoms)

Is it possible stroke side muscles are a "use it or lose it" situation? Meaning I MUST continue to walk an hour a day, keep lots of activity up to keep that muscle?? 

I am trying to determine if  less activity now (my 17 yr old pup died, so no long walks) and the  diminished  strength back to the level of the 2013 stroke may be my OWN fault.

Anyone know? 

Only major life change is  prescribed pain medications are reduced by 90% thanks to our national paranoia over addicts/abusers, kicking chronic pain patients the curb.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

you might also consider imaging of the blood vessels in the affected limb.. usually blockage/narrowing result in pain but not a must
  • Posted

thanks for the input to both of you! OK I have paid more attention..my foot nor my hand are 'stroke' weak, it is just the leg-   wobbly, weak, shifting--very much like the first time home after hospital

I asked my PCP to refer me to a  PT clinic or stroke MD to access what this is.. it feels  discouraging ...like I can't possibly gain back the muscle tone I had just a year ago..but that may be the only thing to do..if I am super-weak..to ..just keep walking and exercising every day.

• Posted

Like you I had a lacunar stroke, for me  3 years ago.  Unfortunately because  I looked and sounded O.K my doctors took no notice of the symptoms  ( Feet like blocks of lead and imbalance in head.  I felt I was lurching everywhere but it was not  visible to others))  After 8 weeks I was finally diagnosed with stroke.  Initially I walked every day, as you do,  with a cane as my balance was unreliable.  With medication and time my balance has  improved but I have  good and bad days and have noticed that I am walking much less (15 minutes) as opposed to 40 mins each day.  I am finding it hard to push myself because of dreadful  fatigue.  My muscle tone which was excellent 3 years ago is not so good now. I put that down partly to age (71) but mostly to   lack of general exercise compared with pre stroke.   In your position I would ask for physio and keep up as much exercise as is comfortable.  Of course our bodies are all different but do not feel this is your own fault.  Strokes have all kinds of manifestations.  It's hard to accept the changes.

• Posted

Hi..our stories are similar...  I was 65 at stroke, now 68. 

2 things may have affected me in this downturn. 1. the national paranoia on pain meds has the VA force-reducing me to the point it is too painful after a long walk..so yes, less movement. and that may not improve.

I am as active as possible working on my old property but that is not the same a sustained walking..BUT keeping the house and yard maintained is often as important, and not enough energy to do both repairs and long walks.

the intense weakness real fatigue really concerns me...and it MAY be, as you say, related to the stroke.  Has anyone told you that fatigue IS related, or this is your determination??

2.  I am tapering off of a low dose Gabapentin  (aka Neurotonin)  because that may be affecting me in unwanted ways too. (higher blood sugar, a few other effects)

Lesley- do you nap during the day? how is your sleep at night?  thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.