Muscle weakness, twitches and aches

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 24 yr old female and for the past few months I've been experiencing muscle weakness, aches and a lot of twitching in my legs and sometimes my arms also have heart palpitations and sometimes shooting pains in my chest along with the feeling like its hard to breathe. I know my symptoms are kind of all over the place but it's causing me to have a lot of anxiety... I already suffer from pretty severe health anxiety as it is.

I'd like to add that I've been to the ER twice. Blood work normal. Head CT normal. I've been to my doctors office countless times. All my blood work from them was normal. I was tested for Lyme disease which was negative. I've also been to a neuro and had my muscle enzymes tested along with vitamin B12 and they were all normal. I had an EMG which showed all my muscles reacted normally as well. I'm at my wits end with this and just don't know what else it could be. It's on my mind 24/7. Please help. sad

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am going through muscle weakness as well and twitching in my legs and I also have anxiety. Can I ask, when you focus on them do they feel worse and do they go away when you are distracted?

I think health anxiety can bring and emphasise symptoms you're already worried about because you are focusing so intensely on them. Checking and ruminating over it makes them feel 10 times worse.

You've had blood test that proves you are absolutely fine, so it is the anxiety that's getting in the way here, not the thoughts or symptoms, the bad habit of anxiety. Get rid of the anxiety and the 'symptoms' will fade and i know it is so much easier said than done from experience.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply wink my symptoms don't always go away but I can say I don't always notice them as much. I notice them more when I'm bending down I can feel the weakness and shaky feeling in my legs. I do remember after I had my head CT the symptoms went away for almost a week because my big fear them was MS or ALS. Then they started again.. I don't know. I'm so confused. I keep telling myself it's my anxiety but then I think about the what ifs and what if they haven't tested for something or missed something. It's really a viscous cycle.

• Posted

No problem hun smile diversion is key, soon it'll become a habit to disregard those 'symptoms' because in time you'll realise that they're just anxiety! Yes, your body will feel weak because your mind is working so hard it exhausts your body. It is all your mind's doing. When I was at my worst, I'd wake up with my whole body physically shaking and hardly able to move, your mind really is that powerful. It'll get easier in time if you keep telling yourself that smile you've had the tests, you are fine even if you don't feel it, time to enjoy life as the healthy person you are is capable of smile

• Posted

Check your blood work for magnesium . is any tests borderline normal. Are you get ting any exercise. There are nutrients that aren't checked for in blood tests so you might want to try some nutrition drinks .

• Posted

g  is right about minerals that are not included in blood work ups. I had to ask for that test specifally.  If that is low, so might be potassiium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.