Musculoskeletal Issues/side effects on Sertraline?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been on Sertraline since late May, for gastrointestinal issues, reflux, back/chest sternum pain, and anxiety/depression about my health.  I started on 25mg and am now on 150mg.  Since that point I have gradually felt physically worse musculoskeletal and nervous system wise. 

It started with tingling pins and needles in extremities, then gradual muscle aches/soreness, joint and bone cracking, and tension/tightness.  My whole body head to toe/both sides is stiff, sore and achy when I get up and fluctuates with severity during the day and week to week. My joints and bones are cracking excessively (deep breaths or movements). I have spine/back soreness and tender points.  My neck has been diagnosed with Neck spasms and a bulging disc (straightened cervical spine - MRI) I have random muscle twitches and mini spasms all throughout my body, but really is hardcore in my calves.  They will spasm and twitch like crazy, especially after use or exercise.  My jaw is fatigued and tight when eating.  My legs feel heavy and muscles are so tight they are cramping at times.  

I went to 150mg and noticed my neck is stiffer and my calves/ feet are cramping slightly more.  It is not debilitating, but really annoying and concerning.  I have had all sorts of tests and blood work.  The rheumotologist felt it wasn't fibromyalgia due to lack of severity and pain in certain points.  Not one of the million doctors I went to has indicated that it may be sertraline and to get off.  I am losing my mind with whether sertraline could be the cause to many of the musculoskeletal/nerve issues or if it a slow progression of another serious issue.  

Has anyone had musculoskeletal issues and muscle/joint tension like this, while on SSRI?  The side effect list makes it seem like muscle tension is rare and only when combined with other bad allergic reaction type symptoms.  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

yes! Headaches and intense jaw pain/stiffness as well as neck and back.
  • Posted

Yes typical side effects. Check with your doc for a painkiller. It will eventually wear off.

Take care

• Posted

Im having the exact similar thing, i have a bulging disc and i know its the sertraline, now im here tryna get better doing excercises and taking meds. 
  • Posted

Hi I know this is an older post but I had the same muscle soreness problems first In my arms then legs then around my abs, all slowly got better, I still have the abdominal pain and soreness sometimes, im on 50mg sertraline by the way 
  • Posted

Zoloft helped me many years ago for constant panic attacks and depression, I was on it for about 10 years. Since then whenever I try to go back on it, I have neck, back, and extreme knee pain.

• Edited

ryan54924 Hi I can relate to your symptoms did anything improve in time. I'm having a hard time walking and getting around due to the cracking joints. Did your symptoms they go away?

• Posted

I had muscle aches .I was on 125 and I gained weight( more than i wanted) and felt emotionally stable enough to taper after a year and a half . I was worried that I would have more muscle aches going off however , my muscle aches got so much better going down . In hindsight I dont think this was the best fit for me . I was so stiff that I felt like I was 90 years old!

• Posted

wow, I realize this is an old post.....but I mean to the t what I just started experiencing. I went from 50mg to 75mg about a month ago, it's been a rough road since. for about the past week and a half or so I been getting a lot of musculoskeletal aches and pains as well. the lower back and calve muscle descriptions are spot on to what I'm experiencing. my knees and neck get extremely sore as well. constantly creaking and popping. very interesting.

• Posted

i started zoloft two months ago now. started on 50mg and now starting 100mg. the muscle pain and aches are so intense and constant in my arms, I feel terrible. This is one of the few forums I could find that discussed this.

did anyone actually see this go away. Its been months for me now with no reduction.

• Posted

Hi, I appreciate this is an old post but i started on 50mg of Sertraline in December 2023, and was increased to 100mg a few weeks ago. ive been having muscle twitches all over my body and noticed that having bit of pain too in muscles. i was terrified that it is a neurological disorder and been thinking the worse (should not have googled). Has anyone else experienced these fasciculations after taking Sertraline? I do suffer from health anxiety as it is and this seems to be making it all worse - any replies welcome

• Posted

Hi, I appreciate this is an old post but i started on 50mg of Sertraline in December 2023, and was increased to 100mg a few weeks ago. ive been having muscle twitches all over my body and noticed that having bit of pain too in muscles. i was terrified that it is a neurological disorder and been thinking the worse (should not have googled). Has anyone else experienced these fasciculations after taking Sertraline? I do suffer from health anxiety as it is and this seems to be making it all worse - any replies welcome

• Posted

hi I have had the twitches for the last two years, on 100 mg. It's very scary but I figured anything serious would have become worse over time, but this hasn't.

I also learned recently that twitches can start in perimenopause, so that knowledge might help you, or someone on here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.