Music

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, I've been listening to music to take my mind off things. I wake up in the early hours going over and over things and I realise I need to break the cycle. I've tried a bit of classical music and its been ok but Its a genre of music that I know little about. Can anyone recommend some relaxing music that I can listen to? Do any of you have a favourite tune that helps you to relax? I will try almost everything although perhaps not heavy metal at 4 in the morning! Thanks x

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny

I listen to music in the night too, soemtimes on my radio, but the talking between tracks, and ads on Classic FM can wake me up.  Soemtimes i connect my iPod to the hifi and listen to classical.  The most relaxing music for me is that which stays at approximately one volume without great crescendos and is gentl.  Fitting this definition my favouriote classical composers are from the Renaissance: Palestrina and Josquin, also Ockeghem and Byrd..  I also have soem natural sounds cds, the type with a tinkling stream, birdsong, summer meadow, you'll get the idea.  If you can't download them Amazon are bound to be able to help, and if you want to know what a composer sounds like before you buy, there is always YouTube.

xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie - that's really helpful. I will definitely look those composers up. It's kind of you to take the time to reply - much appreciated x
  • Posted

Hi jenny

There's a cd called moods there's a range

Of them with such calming effect and very

Easy on the ears . Artists include clannad

Enya , enigma etc .

Regards daz

• Posted

One beautiful piece of music I find really relaxing is Dedicated to Children of Nature by Marth.  I originally found it on youtube and downloaded it and it's just SO good at calming me down.
    • Posted

Thanks Spindles - Ive given it a whirl - very relaxing and there are other similar ones to on their site thanks for the recommendation x
  • Posted

Yes, Enya definitely, very calming and they have done sevaral abums.  And Adiemus, another calming band with sevarl albums suitable for late at night. Ans Sade, she's a talented Anglo/Nigerian singer, calming and soulful, but get her early albums.  Another singer songwriter I listen to at night is Suzanne Vega, especially the ones from the late 80s and early 90s

xxxxx

• Posted

Talking books can be relaxing,you can get them from the library.
    • Posted

Didn't think about talking books - thanks for the suggestion. Ive been listening to some old podcasts from Jarvis Cocker ( Wireless Nights BBC4) and his voice is relaxing too confused so this would work. Cheers x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.