Must make decision

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok so it’s been a year since ltkr is it better? Yes, is it great NO. It’s stiff as a board in the morning and even though I wouldn’t call it pain it is very uncomfortable. Yes I know everyone is different and heals differently but it is very depressing. Now the other knee, which I always knew had to be done as well is really acting up. I could hardly walk the other day, had to use a cane, all I kept thinking was I went all through that terrible surgery and time to only wind up not being able to walk. So now I don’t know what to do. It’s almost 4 am and I can’t sleep because of the situation. I took an oxycodone and the pain eased up but still can’t sleep. Does anyone out there have any good stories about second knee being done. Please write and tell me😪😩

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh NO !!!  Im 6 months po and I have alwayys feared this would happen to me also.  Bless your heart.  Go back to another doc and get a second opinion.  I have contacted 2 other ortho docs, but they won't even talk to you unless it' s been a year, so you should be ok on that ..... For sleep, my primary care physician gave me script for amitriptyline for sleep.  And boy howdy, does it work.    Good luck and God Bless...

• Posted

I am only 6 months post TKR.  

Not that it is helpful to you but several people I know and from reading posts on this site...it seems that most people that need TKR in both knees, one knee is never perfect and the other one is perfect.  So maybe your other knee will  be the perfect knee???!!!     

• Posted

Hi Arlene. I'm just a year after first TKR - June 2017. Plucked up courage and had other knee operated on in March 2018. Second knee better experience pain wise - got GP to prescribe oxycodone from start and really helped me to do exercises this time. Now think both knees about same despite 8 months difference time wise!! Still stiff and sore in the morning until I get going but so good to be free of the awful arthritic pain. Still going to a private physio every three weeks - she was great help in Prehab before both ops. If your other knee is giving you gyp it may be because it was taking the strain of the operated one- now roles are reversed and the operated knee is "boss" knee and doesnt like it!! You will make whatever decision is right for you but I was very glad I went ahead with second op so soon after the first one!

• Posted

I’ve had two done but with 7 year gap , can’t say I had pain after about 10 weeks but they certainly feel uncomfortable some days . I’m hoping my recent one will be better because of new method and implants . I would be asking your surgeon regarding the pain . I stopped any opioids at about 8 wks and now maybe take a panadol but that’s more for back ache . Good luck , and get some answers re pain levels 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.