MVD

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yea, I had mvd surgery last June. It took the bad pain away from Trigeminal N. But it also leaves you with nerve damage. I can live with it though. The pain was unbeatable.

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathy - I was diagnosed with TN is 2006 and had MVD surgery in 2009.  My surgery was not successful and now live daily with chronic pain.  When you say that the pain was unbearable, I completely understand.    When my surgery was done the surgeon did find problems, corrected them but with no relief in pain.  Does your nerve damage cause you pain of any level based on a number from 1 - 10?  My pain has been increasing for the last two years but cannot figure this one out.  Best wishes.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain.  I don't think I have TN but I have pain in all my teeth that just started all of a sudden after a cleaning and fluoride treatment at the dentist office last November.  I was doing fine before. I have been to a load of dentist, a ent, pain doctor, orthodontist, periodontist and no one can tell me what is wrong with my teeth and why they hurt when they come together and touch.  I was trying to find out if someone just has teeth pain with tn.   I went to a neurologist yesterday and was hoping he could help.  I had talked to his nurse before he came in.  He asked me if I had a electric shooting type pain in my teeth and I told him no.  It is not that type pain.  I have been reading this forum and just looking for answers.  Since learning about TN I am scared to death to have any dental work done.  Hope everyone gets better.

• Posted

John I don't think that it's all shock like pain I think some people experience a burning sensation and before my meds started working my bottom tooth touched my top tooth and an instant pain came with it 

• Posted

I had to eat on the opposite side of my mouth and had smoothies, ensure, and lots of soup. Mine was not triggered by eating. My mouth was too sore to eat. My pain did not seem to have a trigger except for lots of talking. After I had a Bad pain is when my mouth was so sore and I was afraid to eat that it might bring the pain back. Some people have the surgery twice. Do what you have to do to be pain free. Goodluck
    • Posted

Exactly... i also feel like a pressure UNDER my teeth. Like they just want to bust out of my gums... its so hard to explain to someone that doesn't know. They just get that confused look on their face. 🤤

• Posted

Were all your teeth hurting like to the touch or when you put them together to swallow.  
  • Posted

Hi Kathy,

Sorry to hear you ended up with nerve damage following MVD surgery. Can I just say for anyone who is considering this surgery, that not everyone ends up with nerve damage. I haven't. Maybe I just got lucky.

Best Wishes

Chris

• Posted

After my MVD, I lost feeling on much of my right side face including my tongue. Some of it returned, but most did not. It's an odd feeling, even over a year later, but one I will live with as this trade off is more than worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.