MVD - dizzy- loss of hearing and LOUD noise on op side

Posted , 2 users are following.

October 2014

Hi, I'm 71/2 weeks post MVD - and spasm free from waking..yay!  I am still very dizzy, it has been terrible but I am just begining to see an improvement... BUT I am worried about my hearing. My Neurosuregeon did a test with a pitch folk thingy, I couldn't hear it at all in ear opening but I could hear it when he placed it on my mastoid behind my ear.because of this he told me I will get my hearing back, that I just need to be patient ....I also have a very loud noise in my head on operation side and an underwater feeling which hasn't stopped since waking from MVD. 

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this noise and has a good outcome to report. Does anybody know if the noise stops? I'm unable to resume my life. I have read of people driving after 3-4 weeks post op. That seems so far away...

Would really appreciate any feedback

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne.  So pleased that you are spasm free but quite understand how hard these others symptoms must be for you.  I don't have experience of these things, but I have heard others on the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group talking about similar symptoms post MVD.  I've certainly heard of others being referred to an audiologist where hearing remains poor after 6 weeks or so.  Where did you have your surgery and which surgeon did it?  Do hope you will see some improvements soon. 
    • Posted

Thank you Roseann for reply. I am on the Facebook site. i have read some hopeful posts and more than a few not so good outcomes. I'm from Australia, so MVD was done in Sydney. I know i just need to be paitent and positive. I would just like to hear someone say they were in the same position and the noise stopped!
  • Posted

I had my surgery on Oct. 10, 2014.  When I awoke I was spasm free.  Like you, I am experiencing dizziness.  It has been 18 days since surgery.  I have a loud ringing in my left ear, the side of surgery.  I can hear with both ears.  I also have that underwater feeling you described- everything is sort of muffled.  I have not driven yet and will not until dizziness subsides.  I live alone so being unable to drive is very difficult.  I have not resumed my life, and will not return to work until able to drive.  I have been having trouble sleeping at night.  I can't get comfortable and have trouble sleeping on side of incision.  I'm getting frustrated being inside my house all day long.  I really hope things improve soon.  I've needed a lot of help from family from friends.
    • Posted

Hi Sue.  Sorry to hear you still have dizziness and are confined to barracks.  From my own MVD experience and all that I've read on these forums, I think these symptoms can be quite common in the early stages of recovery, but still worth checking out with your surgeon of course.  I did not drive again until 8 weeks post surgery because my neck did not feel sufficiently mobile.  I'm now 16 months post surgery and still don't find sleeping on the surgery side very comfortable.  I just avoid doing so as far as possible.  My surgeon told me that full recovery takes an average of 4 months and in my case this was true.  But, every day from now on should see some small improvements for you.  I really hope so because it must be tough living on your own and being stuck indoors at this time of year.  Chin up and hope you can continue to count the blessings of getting rid of the spasms.  Very best wishes to you, Roseann
    • Posted

Good morning Roseann.  I live in the United States, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  Thanks so much for your reply.  You are much farther along on the road to recovery.  I called the surgeon yesterday because the dizziness and ringing in my ears were so bad.  He assured me that both symptoms are normal following mvd.  I need to be patient and let my body heal.   I found it interesting that you did not drive for 8 weeks.  I do have a bit of good news.  Last night I slept for 7 hours.  I feel good today!  I am immensely grateful that the facial spasm is gone.  I had reached the point where I did not want to go out because I was so self-conscious about my eye closing and face twitching.  I am counting my blessings!  Warmest regards to you, Sue
    • Posted

Bravo for 7 hours sleep Sue!  And I'm pleased that you managed to talk to your surgeon and get some reassurances too.  It must be tough dealing with this on your own, but life will certainly pick up without those spasms.  I felt as if I had my life back after 9 years of becoming more and more reclusive.  Try to listen to your body and not rush things; this was, after all, a very big operation and it will take time to heal completely.  Without sounding 'racist', I've noticed that our American friends tend to want instant fixes, perhaps more so than we plodding old Brits.  With a bit of luck you may well be driving sooner than I was; I think I just erred on the safe side and trusted my instincts.  Keep counting those blessings and I hope that you will soon be 'up and at life' again.  Best love, Roseann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.