MVD Incision Pics

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm not posting these to shock, I just thought it might interest some to see what the results of MVD surgery looks like on the outside. One pic is the day after surgery, and the other is from yesterday, a month after surgery. My incision was longer than most, but my case was the worst my surgeon had seen in over 500 procedures. I've still had no pain and no medication since the surgery. My only lingering effect is partial numbness on the left side of my head and face, but there is no loss of motor control so it doesn't bother me at all. I realize that MVD isn't for everyone and isn't always successful, but in my case it was a slam dunk. 100% successful so far.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi clint,so happy for you,no pain,no medication..how good is that!And a nice neat scar too!
    • Posted

I can tell you about mine. Done here in Virginia, good insurance with Aetna and I'm paying about $2000 out of pocket over all. The surgery itself is not terribly expensive, but the hospital and the additional doctors were much of the cost for me. Overall, the surgery was about $50,000 USD before insurance. The hospital, for 3 days and 2 nights, was almost $300,000 USD. Yay for insurance.

• Posted

Help colin$300,000 the mind boggles! Wonderful,wonderful NHS!
    • Posted

Crazy is it not? But that amount is what they submit to the insurance company. After the negotiated amount was paid, my portion to the hospital was about $250. I can't compain there.

Bear in mind that I was in the hospital for 2 nights and 3 days, all of which were in the ICU. I was also staying in the most expensive hospital in the region. Your results may vary.

• Posted

Hey everyone!

Have seen the rough breakdown of costs for MVD surgery on here and it looks like it could be anywhere from about 50,000 to 300,00 USD depending on the stay in care time. Does anyone have a ball-park idea if what it would cost to do one privately in the UK? There seems to be a long waiting list for NHS surgery in some regions and I was wondering if it was worth the massive outlay to get it done by your usual neurosurgeon, on a private basis. Methinks this might just be much too much for the rapidly shrinking pension pot!

Good luck to all

Big D

• Posted

Hi Army ...seems to me a lot of money to put out when you ve paid in all those taxes ....find out how long the operation would take on the NH and go from there...if you can stand say three months more pain then it's worth the wait money wise and pension wise! Good luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

I keep loosing my post to you here so here goes again...if you can stand the wait of say three months more pain then it is worth it money wise especially as you have paid in all those taxes.And more for your pension pot!
  • Posted

Wow Clint, that's a big scar. What kind of meds were you on that allowed you to come of right away?

• Posted

The moment I woke up after surgery, the TN pain was completely gone. Before I had been taking 1600mg of carbamazepine every day.
    • Posted

Best of luck to you! They kept me on carbamazepine for a while, weened me off of it. I was at 1800 mg which was over the max. Really happy to hear your results.
  • Posted

Clint71,

Still have double vision had surgery on July 27, 2016 stayed in the hospital until August 8, 2016.

If anyone would like to have an MVD surgery make sure you make your neurosurgeon explain all the side effects to you. As for headaches I had headaches all the time I was in the hospital.

Once I went home I still had the headaches. It will be days before the headaches go away or even weeks. As I said I had my MVD surgery on July 27, 2016. I still have the numbness on the left side were surgery was performed.

Yet, can't I even sleep on surgery side of my head, because it is numbness and I get headache.

I can say one thing about the surgery so far I don't get the shocks, but I still have to take my oxcar and gabby, for a pain in my gum. I Can say that the pain is not as bad as it was before the MVD surgery so far.

What I really wanted out of the MVD surgery was to not have double vision, which my doctor didn't tell me about b4 surgery. Wow! When I woke throwing up bcause I had double vision, I didn't even notice anything about my eyes bcause I was just sick.

Then when I started complaining so much about my eyes, Dr. Phelphs. P.A., she just was ignoring me.

My hubby wanted to talk Dr. Phelphs, but my doctor was always in surgery. This man must have been sleeping in the surgery room.

He would never address my double vision and if I have a stroke til today he says I didnt have a stroke, but MRI shows it.

but my neurologist was one who had MRI done , no really it was when I went to the emergency room that is when it was done.

I could not get an appointment with my neurosurgeon so that he could explain when my double vision which he pretended that I did not have, would go away.

Till this day Dr.Phelphs still says he doesn't understand y I have double vision.

Get this he called my optometrist and tried to get her to say it wasn't bcause of his surgery but she says, yes it is bcause of the surgery.

The MRI was read to me by my neurologist.

I had an accident while trying to get to my restroom in my house and I fell I don't really remember falling, I believe I passed, had to go to the emergency room because of my injuries, hurting me that night.

Had I not gone 2 emergency room I would not have known that I had a stroke, because my neurosurgeon didn't know anything about a stroke.

my neurologist who read the MRI that the emergency room handmade seems like the only one I can get any kind of appointment was with was with my neurologist who referred me to my Dr. Phelphs and Lee Langley Lee

Everyone have a good day.

God bless

us and keep us and give us peace

• Posted

your neurosurgeon is a really dumb an an made mistakes an is trying to cover up his mistakes i would do something about that.
  • Posted

Hi Clint, I'm from the UK so thankfully my it will be free, quite shocked by the photos but thank you for sharing them. Did you experience a lot of pain afterwards from the operation ?

• Posted

Not really, thanks to plenty of drugs. You'll have poor equilibrium and hearing as if you have water in your ears, but meds keep the pain at bay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.