MVD operation for hemifacial spasm

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have returned home from Atkinson Morley, London, where I underwent the MVD Op to hopefully cure my HFS. Am delighted that it worked immediately on coming round in recovery. Unfortunately I have lost hearing in the left ear which may return if I am lucky, but I am not banking on it. Am feeling very unbalanced and a bit dizzy still, but each day I am managing to eat more and do more and I have no regrets whatsoever. It is such a relief to be free of those awful irritating spasms and I am sure that I will get used to the new sensations and feelings in my ear over time. It's not quite a week since the

operation,patience is required here! I would happily wear a hearing aid if I feel the need to. It was a risk I was prepared to take. Just so pleased and thankful that it worked for me. It took some agonising over of course but just typing this is so easy now!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adnama, I had  had MVD surgery in Salt Lake City 6 weeks ago today, unfortunately my spasms are still here and my hearing (left ear) has been affected slightly. I am finding that working 4 hrs a day is about all I can do right now because I get tired after that. My dizziness happens when I move my head too quickly. I know I am progressing with each day and I have faith that I will be healed, but I have to be honest I am so dissappointed I still have face spasms just as bad if not more since my surgery.
    • Posted

It must be hard to still have spasms, I have to be very grateful-that I don't, despite the deafness! It is possible that your spasms will subside in time.  It took some months to get back to feeling normal, although I don't think I will ever feel 100% again.  I really hope your hearing is not too affected and you feel better soon. All the best.
  • Posted

Hello Adnama,

I'm pleased to hear you are now spasm-free! The other side-effects as far as I can gather from those who have had the op will disappear in time. Who was your surgeon? I am London-based but waiting for MVD surgery in Bristol with Nik Patel who seems to be one of the best.

Best wishes for a complete recovery! Sally

• Posted

Hi Sally, thanks for message.  I wish you lots of luck with your op, when do you think it will be ? I wish in retrospect I had given more time to researching the surgeon.  Nik Patel seems to have a good record.  Henry marsh who did mine is a top surgeon, but I just hope I was very unlucky to end up deaf! It is still hard to accept, but I try to forget about it.  I'm in Reigate,  it's strange that I've had two messages recently on this forum, have you joined the facebook site? It's very good. Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.