MVD surgery at UCL for TN - recovery time

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am scheduled for MVD surgery at UCL for Trigeminal Neuralgia next month and am seriously scared. My husband of 57 had a stroke 7 months ago, my 35 year old marriage is collapsing and it is likely that I shall be facing separation and start of divorce proceedings at the time of the surgery. Can anyone tell me how long their reasonable recovery time was in order to return to work? I am self emplyed and contracted overseas with my husband so in one fell swoop will lose my income, my home and my husband. What is a reasonable recovery time to be fit enough to return to an Executive Level Administrator/PA/Office Manager role (assuming I can get one)?

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you thought of gamma knife procedure? No cutting,good results,my friend was doing terrific after a week.
    • Posted

Thought that was what I would be having but after consultation with Neil Kitchen at UCL it was apparent that the 2 blodd vessels pushing on the nerve itself made this impossible - MVD is the only option for me unfortunately

• Posted

Well,i wish you nothing but the best. Sounds like you are going through so much all at one time. Please keep us posted. Xx
  • Posted

Hey Debbie

What a saga you are going through! You have my greatest sympathy. I'm due for MVD in 2017 so can't give you a summary of my experiences. However I can summarise what my consultant has said about my recovery / I need to get back to a senior academic post soon as I can.

Firstly, no flying for 3 months at least because of the repairing process of the internal ear area.

You would probably be in hospital 2 to 3 days and No driving until you can turn your head rapidly around 4 weeks after surgery. You should be fit to undertake some work from home after about 2 weeks, it will probably be about 6 weeks before you are back in normal work. You should avoid heavy lifting for around 3 months (again, to give your ear a change to heal).

I hope this is some help to you. Like you I have a clear picture on MRI of artery pressing on the Trigeminal root where it comes out of brain - that's why MVD seems the best option.

I know it's not "direct experience " but this info might help. I guess you're in uk - you can join or contact the TNA and they will answer questions and give support and they have very many people on their forum groups who have had MVD? Just google TNA and you'll get them.

Good luck - please keep us informed

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Thanks so much for the info... especially about flying... looks like my earning potential just dropped through the floor (!) but as long as I recover well then I can pick myself up and start over again. Am returning to UK on 22 Jan, have pre op process on 25 Jan and procedure scheduled for 31 Jan. Am also being referred on as I have further brain lesions to be investigated (have already had lumbar puncture to rule out MS). Keep fingers & toes crossed please!

• Posted

Could you postpone the surgery and get some of your other issues taken care of first?  It could be too stressful for you to heal well after surgery while trying to cope with those situations.
    • Posted

Have no option but to face it all at once... pain is too bad and medication isnt working like it did.... my husbands stroke/return to work overseas/our earning potential is inextricably linked so as soon as I start any proceedings I face losing the lot... job... home... but things cannot continue as they are. The stroke has only brought out to the surface what was under there for so long... the genie is now out of the bottle and must be dealt with.... but the op has to go ahead a.s.a.p.
  • Posted

I was 40 and am a fairly stout man in very good health. I was in the hospital for 2 days, left on the morning of the 3rd day. I was back at work in 3 weeks, but had I been able to choose, I could have gone home after 24 hours and been back at work (albeit with a huge bandage on my head) in a week. Everyone is different and your life sounds like there will be other circumstances possibly affecting you. I am not a religious person but you are most definitely in my thoughts. You WILL get through this. Please keep us posted on your progress.
    • Posted

Thanks for that Colin... hopefully my procedure will run as smoothly and my recovery as well.
  • Posted

Well said Colin. Everyone's different and I think the time periods given by consultants are so that they have much reduced risks of complications. The operation opens up the air spaces behind the ear and that's why they don't want anyone lifting heavy weights of doing anything too active (including air flights, which could mess up the healing process) - nobody wants CSF (spinal fluid) dripping out of their nose.

I think the heaviest thing that Debbie should lift for a few weeks after the op should be a credit card and glass of champagne.

Keep us informed Debbie

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Hi Debbie - each patients recovery is different. If this is your first procedudure of any kind for this and you are in good health it should probably be a swift one. I put off mvd and had gamma knife 2 xs. Because of that when I finally decided to do mvd I didn't have a successful outcome. Also, if you are at UCLA you will be in good hands. Best wishes putting all this behind you.

• Posted

Thank you for your positive thoughts on UCLA... it's quite far from my home so visitors will be severely limited to non-existent(!) .... but after seeing the care that my husband received after his stroke in our  local hospital, and the issues that and fights that I had to go through on his behalf for him even to receive the correct medication after they mixed up his notes with another patient etc, I can assure you that I am fairly nervous about being in any hospital

• Posted

Hello again

Just found out that if you google TNA you get a load of wrestling sites! Try Trigeminal Neuralgia Association.............

They are extremely knowledgeable and good responders

Cheers

D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.