MVD Surgery Recovery

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am wondering how the recovery is after Mvd surgery. I am facing this and am alone with no one to be with me. Can it be done? I am to the point where I am reasy to throw in the towell. Thanks

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kevin

Two months since your post but I thought I would comment anyway.  Hopefully it will help.  I had my MVD surgery Nov 30 2015 due A-typical TN (due to a surgical procedure.) So pain was all the time I would have 5 to 10 min reprieve at times in a day. For me MVD was the only other option... Tried all medication.. allergic.  Tried Gamma knife (gamma radiation pointed directly at the trigeminal nerve).  That did not help but only due to a granuloma that was formed from the original surgery that caused all of this.  You might want to look into the Gamma Knife procedure to see you are a candidate.  It is a lot less invasive.  But definitely get more than one opinion. If in S. CA.  I know a wonderful doctor.  

But in saying all this you definitely need someone with you.  Driving is not an option after surgery and could be a month before you can drive.  Uber is always a good option if you do not have transportation.  

It does take a long time for recovery.  Some people recover a month after,  with a little dizziness and sometimes vision problems for another month.

For my experience.  I was also allergic the the plate that they put in.. lucky me (nobody the doctor or his associates have seen this before so it is probably just my body make up... so don't let that scare you.)  But since I had to have two more surgeries after the MVD surgery my recover is still occurring.... but it is getting better very slowly.

Each person is different on how they react to MVD surgery.  You have to just take one day at a time and enjoy that day then the next and then the next.  When a bad day occurs during recover just remember you have ups and downs and focus on resting and occupying your mind.  

I found even when I have a good day with pressure I still rest and then the next day I feel a lot better.

One thing my doctor told me...  "It is like little fires burning and if you fan then they inflame. So it is important to keep them calm".  This help me visualize and understand what was happening in my recovery.  

Try to stay positive if recovery seems to be lingering...it is a very very slow process.

Ultimately it is up to you.  

All of us with TN (I assumed that is what you have) can get very frustrated feeling as though people do not understand how painful and debilitating this condition is.  All we can do is work through the rough days and relish the good days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.