MVD Surgery Scheduled

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been suffering from TN for 5 years. The medicine is just about useless at this point so I finally met with a neurosurgeon and he's agreed to do the MVD surgery. He wasn't thrilled about operating on a 24 year old but I haven't eaten in almost 4 days so it's pretty bad. I'm not sure it's ever been as bad as it is right now. Has anyone else had this surgery done?  How was your results and what was the recovery time like? I'm so nervous to have this done. He said there is an 80% chance that it'll work and he's done well over 100 of these surgeries. I'm so worried he's going to open me up and not find anything on that nerve. I'm not sure what I'll do if the surgery doesn't work. It's one of my last options. I just need some advice from fellow people with TN. Thanks for any helpful advice!

1 like, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi hsisk - I just read a response from one of the group members and I feel I need to explain a couple of inconsistencies.  If you would like to PM messsage, I would be more than happy to explain.
    • Posted

I'm new to this site and I'm not sure how to PM but you feel more than welcome to PM me!

• Posted

Hi, I am sorry that you felt and think I am telling you what to do with your life.

I think there are misunderstandings and the way that I  asked you, it was wrong.

I know after all years living with this horrible pain, each case and person are different from each other.

To do what do or not do with your life is that's up to you, AND, I NEVER INTERFERCE IT.

All I wanted to say, that be careful, do something with good research that after,  you do not regret that.

Again, I am sorry you felt that way. I am in Medical field and highly educated in three different area, again what I am doing, or what my job is,   is not really important,  my meaning is, I  am not an ordinary person just say something, randomly.  I was, somebody 20 years ago, that desperately looking for something that, make me free of the pain, and I went under this surgery, and you are right about it if mine did not go well, it does not mean, yours go wrong. 

Another thing, when I look at your medications that you are on, 

I am sure, you aware all of them have the side effect, and even though these medications, all are pain relievers, but sometimes, when we take all together, their side effect works the other way around, I mean, make the pain worse, you better search, and you will find that I am right, and  I hope, you feel better.

At end, Generally, if, we are coming to these sites and ask each other's suggestion,

and group give us some idea, you better hear those, and do not mix it up, with something else.

Otherwise, do not come to these sites, if you can not understand worriedness. and be mean and disrespectful. 

I did not decide for your life, do what ever you want to do, it does not matter for me. I am sorry if you felt that way. 

Good luck.

• Posted

You specifically told me not to do this surgery and your reasoning for that was because it didn't go well for you. I wasn't mean and disrespectful to you and if you really think that then wow. I was standing up for myself. I have done extensive research on this surgery. This isn't something I've decided to do without doing any kind of research on it. The thing you're not hearing from me is I have no other options. This surgery is my last option. I was going to do gamma knife but I'm too young for that. I know more about this disease and these surgeries than I care to know. I also told you I appreciated your honesty. But that was your surgery and what happened to you. I will continue to come on these sites for as long as I please.  

Thanks. 

• Posted

The doc should know if there's compression on the nerve by looking at the MRI. I had the surgery 7 weeks ago. The pain is gone. My surgeon also did a rhizotomy ablation which has left numbness on the side of my face. It feels weird but better than pain. I'm also having some double vision on that side, but hopefully that should go away in time. Just have to be patient. My post op experience was harder than I expected. I wasn't  fully prepared, but I'm feeling well now and the pain is gone! Good luck and keep us posted. I hope this has been helpful, and hasn't made you more nervous. 

• Posted

I talked to the neurosurgeon about that and he said the MRI won't always show a compression. Sometimes they don't know what they are dealing with until they get in there. Like if it's really tiny and it has to do with blood vessels for instance the MRI probably wouldn't show that. I agree numbness is way better than pain! I told my husband if anything had to go wrong during this surgery I hope it causes numbness so I can't feel anything lol. The double vision would drive me crazy. My baclofen causes me to have double vision sometimes and it's so annoying. I hope that goes away for you soon. I'm sorry your post op was harder than you expected! But I am glad your pain is gone! I will definitely keep everyone posted. Once I have it I'll update this and let everyone know how it went. Hopefully it's a success!

• Posted

Hi hsisk I was told the same thing by my surgeon - that it was unlikely anthing would show up.  By no way does this means there are no problems.  I had a few and the surgeon was able to fix.  You will, in most likihood wxperience nubness - I certainly have.

• Posted

That's exactly what my neurosurgeon said. He said he had one patient and when he got in there he saw that his nerve was all tangled up and nothing had showed up on the MRI. I hope he gets in there and it's an easy fix. He said it could take 1-4 hours to do. I honestly don't mind if it's numb. Better than pain! Do you have Bells Pasly? 

• Posted

Hi hsisk34

Reading your post was just like I had wrote that myself. I am doing the surgery after 5 years of pain and suffering to the highest degree, where it's changed me as a person forevermore. In a negative way such as anxiety levels are through the roof, I'm paranoid sometimes at every moment of the day (if I do this I'll I have pain.. I can't eat I'll get pain.. I'm getting to hot I'll get pain) when I'm having some of my darkest days I can't eat or speak or even more my head or body and if you want to put a little silver lining in there in a positive way, where I know how strong I am.

I am on very high dose on medication where I am unable to work 1200 msg Lyrica. I am soooooo ready for this surgery it's my finally hope to have a somewhat normal life. So don't be scared I'm sure you have the best doctors. I'm very positive about this surgery even tho I have read other post of the surgeries not working for them, but if I didn't have that mind set going into it, I don't know where I would be mentally to be honest even know I am being strong and holding on with everything I got don't know how much fight I get left. So why I wanted to post was to give you some of my positive, some my courage & most importantly the absolute best of luck as you are having your surgery before me mine is on the 10th October. 

• Posted

This is just no way to to live! The amount of medication we have to take is ridiculous! Yours sounds pretty bad. I am so sorry you're in so much pain. I understand exactly how it feels. Mentally dealing with this is so hard. It's hard on my family. It's changed my family in a way and that makes me sad. Here lately I have been pretty useless. I pray your surgery is a success! I wish it was sooner than October! I will let you know how mine goes. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi, hsisk24, I hope your surgery be very good surgery, and the out comes be wonderful, and you will get free of pain. 

I know this pain, is out of control and hurts so much.

I am positive for your out coming surgery when I've done my surgery, it was new surgery for TN and after all these years PASS, Right now, is going to be more neurosurgeon with a lot of experience about this surgery. And they know what they are doing.

So, Do not worry, you are going to be fine, and I wish the best wishes for you and your family. Take care.

Please let us know when you wake up. Thanks. Maryam

• Posted

Thank you so much! I'm hoping with so many years that have passed these neurosurgeons have learned more about the surgery. I truly am sorry that your surgery didn't go well. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone. I will let everyone know the outcome! Thank you again. 

• Posted

My 20 year old daughter was dx with TM and had a MVD 3 months after diagnosis.   The surgeon has done over 1,000 of these surgeries and another 1,000 rhyzotomies.  As far as your worry, did you have a high resolution MRI?  My daughter had one with and without contrast (both sides).  When we met with the neuro surgeon for the first time it was required to have this so he could review it before making a plan.  He was actually able to show us the area where the trigeminal nerve exits and we could easily see there was a clear difference on the left vs right.  One side was clearly impinged.  So, ask more questions.  He may KNOW and be able to show you that there is a clear anatomical problem, that seems to be one of your major worries.  While the image we had showed a clear impingement it was only after he went in that our surgeon found BOTH an artery and a vein leaning on the nerve.  

As far as the recovery: you should have a clear picture of what that should be like from your doctor before surgery, many surgeons are extremely busy but in my experience good practices have a nurse practitioner who can answer basic questions as to what to expect from after surgery.  Our experience: my daughter went in on a Saturday for am surgery, spent the night in the neuro ICU with a 1:1 nurse who did hourly neuro checks, on Sunday was transferred to a regular surgical unit and was discharged on Monday.  She stayed home with us for about 2 weeks (went to the hospital for a check -up) and then flew back to Wisconsin began to taper the medication she was taking and slowly resumed work.  She was not able to go swimming, drink alcohol, or for the first 6 weeks lift more than 10 pounds.  The surgery was the first of May and she came here this week to her final check-up.  I can harldy see her scar, she is working 30-40 hours per week and is now on no restrictions and will be backpacking around Europe with her BF for 3 weeks.  She has had a few episodes of pain since surgery, but not as long, frequent or as intense as before.  She seemed to be most affected what there was  rapid a change in barametric pressure and the weather was rainy.  Hope this has been helpful.  Don't rush into surgery until you have your questions answered.

Good luck.  

• Posted

I wouldn't rush into surgery but the pain is so horrible I don't have much choice. That is interesting that he could see the impingement like that. I've had 2 MRI's. 1 with contrast and 1 without. I'm assuming he has all of that. I'm hoping he does anyways! Lol. He just said I could go back to work whenever my pain was gone. I'm sure I'll learn more about that soon. That sucks about not being able to lift more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks because I'm a server and we carry our our own trays. I can't afford to be out for 6 weeks. I was just interested in other people's recovery time because everyone is different. Wow your daughter was young like me. I'm glad her pain wasn't as bad! That gives me hope! Was her pain on her right or left side?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.