MXT and breathlessness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone.

posting on behalf of my 85 year old mum who was diagnosed with RA some 3 years ago now. Mum also has emphysema and a few other conditions!

mum has been taking 20mg of MXT weekly since the start and still has to take prednisolone albeit a smaller does that beforehand the MXT was started. Mum has always been a bit breathless on exertion due to emphysema but this has got worse with dry cough and really quite breathless even on a low level of trying to move. Seeing the Consultant today, I asked if this could be due to the MXT rather than emphysema and having sounded mums chest, the Consultant said she could hear some crackles ( not there's 3 years ago and not then showing on CT scan ). Mum has now been told to stop MXT and increase steroids whilst awaiting another CT scan and then review. I'm now worried that the MXT could have caused damage and wonder if anyone's else has had this problem? If mums lungs are damaged by MXT, what happens next? Thanks for any experiences you can share.

paula.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula-

I was on methotrexate for 5 months but I had lung and swallowing problems, along with other side effects. It felt that the drug increased my mucus secretions. For me, the issues resolved after stopping methotrexate... slowly,  over a 6 week period. There was no permanent damage. I hope this is the case for your Dear Mother!  

• Posted

Thank you Connie for your kind reply. Good to hear you caught things and recognised there was a problem. Also that you have no permanent damage. I'll keep my fingers crossed for my mum for sure. Wishing you all the very best. Paula, x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.