MXT & Sulfasalazine combo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all 

Is anyone on a combination of MTX & Sulfasalazine? How does this work for you ? 

Leah

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I did try it, but couldnt tolerate it.  Sulphasalazine gave me dreadful headaches.  Good luck, you can only try, think you will know fairly quickly
  • Posted

Hi Leah

so you got your swelling concerns sorted?

After I had been on Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine for about 3 months, I started sulfasalazine as well. That was prescribed with doses ramping up over a month. I never got as far as the full dose, I had to stop taking it. I had nausea that increased with the dosage and then started developing a pinprick rash on my lower legs, so my RA nurse told me to stop. I was glad to, but it was a few days before I was free of the nausea.

That said, I would never discourage anyone from taking something that might work for them and all these things can affect each of us differently. Unfortunately I think we just have to go through the process of trying and finding out what works.

For example I am finding the injected methotrexate more effective than tablets, and easier on my gut. 

You can only try! Good luck.

Blair

• Posted

I'm on that combo and it sort of works for me. I have palindromic RA as well as normal RA and I still get lots of flares but I think it's better with the drugs than without. I couldn't tolerate a high dose of SSZ because I started getting severe palpitations. So it's a kinda thumbs up? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.