My 10 year old son been diagnosed with HSP

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 10 year old son was diagnosed with HSP around 7 weeks ago. He has regular blood pressure tests and urine tests which have mainly come back fine.  However the pain he still suffers in his legs, which makes him unable to walk is severe.  Unable to go to school when in such pain, he has not had a full week in school since being diagnosed, a couple of days every week at the most.  The nurses say to treat with painkillers and he should be fine to go to school which angers me as they are not there at night seeing the pain that his in - the other night he told me he wanted to die! This breaks me as there is nothing I can do to stop the pain, painkillers eventually work and he falls to sleep but in the morning I'm carrying him to the toilet again as can't walk.  Rashes and swelling all gone weeks ago and stomach pain minimal. When will this ever end? - I understand some people have it for years with all symptoms and I'm moaning only after several weeks.  Just want answers that I suppose are not out there? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I was 18 when I was diagnosed with hsp and I am now nearly 23.  As you have probably heard the symptoms last longer the older you are when you are diagnosed. I still get days where I am in pain, whether it be my arms and shoulders or my legs and ankles. They have given me numerous painkillers etc but the thing that I have found that works best for me is a hot bath with Epsom salts. I have a bath with these salts every 2nd night depending on how my shifts at work have been and that seems to keep it at bay. I hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hi Beth

Thanks for your reply.   Someone else suggested this to me.  I'll get some today.  May take him back to doctors to see if they have stronger painkillers for him on bad days. 

• Posted

I hope they sort something out for him, I forgot to say, if your son has any kind of throat infection or cold this could be affecting the pain in his legs etc.  What tends to happen with me is if I am run down in the slightest the pain gets worse, and I also have last kidney damage from my hsp which causes infections if I’m not looking after myself properly. But the Epsom salts definitely help keep it at bay on a day to day basis 
    • Posted

I think he done too much on Saturday.  We attempted to take him back to football practice - only for an hour. And it was next day pain started, obviously too soon for him.  Thanks for advice. 
  • Posted

He will not be able to fully engage in sports. it took my soon a lot of time to regain his energy and to fully return to basketball. My son was diagnosed 3 months short of 15 years old and he did have blood in his urine and at times only traces of protein. He returned to playing basketball two months after his diagnosis when his situation stabilised. Four and a half months later, we has yet to clear (we are doing another test tomorrow) but his energy is a lot better. Takes time.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.