my 10th day on citalopram 10mg for anxiety and panic disorder feeling depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.I had major panic attack six weeks ago pins and needles etc feeling iam dying acidity problems found pantrapazole 40mg ,did blood tests vitamin D low stressed work etc probably thats why I had it.went to dr he prescribed me propranolol 30mg a day I had breathig difficulties so needed to stop it was terrible.started on citalopram 10mg 10days back had dry mouth sleepiness tiredness couldnt sleep at nights and still I wake up at nights with broken sleep n red eyes.two days back u had racing heart palputations panic attack the day after again I had racing heart but took diazapam half to calm me down.and I have weird feeling like my heart stops for a split second and than starts fo work and it scears me its been nearly everyday.mood wise iam up and down and have no clue maybe I need higher dose or what.I can sit n cry on my own n feel so depressed.iam so sceard.anyone can help????

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Ayesha,

Sounds like your Citalopram has not started working for you yet (can be a few weeks for full effect) , or you need to up the dosage. (I am not a Dr) but that is what I had to do. Started with 10 upped to 20 mg. It will get better I promise you! Mine started 3 weeks ago, and the last 2 days I have actually gotten some sleep at night and have not woken up with Anxiety attacks in the AM or throughout the night! I concentrate on my breathing and it seems to help me out. I also have downloaded a couple different apps for my phone that help with relaxation and breathing. Hope you find something that works for you! 

• Posted

Robin,

Thanks foryour help and support really helped me it is a real nightmare to be fare I lay in bed dont want to do nothing so down n crying seams citalopram will never help me but its just my 9th day.I am having dr appoitment this week I think I should ask for 20mg as I have panic disorder.I started to attend massage sessions which helps me but got sore red eyes from less sleep.so sceard.I am happy that urs have worked.are u auffering from panic disorder and anxiety too?my councelling will start after a week CBT

• Posted

Sorry Ayesha just realised I had not replied.  Yes I have General Anxiety Disorder (GAD) Also found out I have some OCD well.. Massage is good for anxiety I hear, I was thinking of trying that as well. Hope your Dr appt goes well for you this week! 
  • Posted

Yes, I had heart palpitations, dry mouth, could hardly get out of bed in the morning, very tired all day, intense anxiety, ups and downs, crying spells, waves of hot flashes. It takes a while for these symptoms to ease up for some people. I know it did for me and am still experiencing some of them. Hang in there, as it does get easier. Post anytime you need encouragement, which for me is sometimes several times a day.
    • Posted

Karen,

Thank u so much iam so hapi that iam not the only one who has these aide effects and issues.it gives me a kind of hope ...I guess I need to be patient n wait so dreadful n depressed.I was never like that.these panic attacks are killing my life n I want they just dissapier for good n I can be normal as I was.im curtently second month off from work sad

• Posted

I have been off from work for 6 months and now finally starting to feel confident enough to go back as I am starting a new position. It does take a long while for the meds to work. 
    • Posted

Do u use it for panic attacks and disorder was u sceard to go out too in shops n crowds?depressed on ur own?what dose are u on?did u have councelling too and did it help?what else u dis to battle panic attacks?
    • Posted

I have OCD, depression and anxiety, but I don't think I've had an actual panic attack, but I don't know. I am on 40mg of flouxetine which is also an SSRI. I did not have counselling this time, but I'm sure it would have helped. I did read a lot on the internet and this forum has saved my sanity, just knowing that I am not alone and that I'm not just some "nut case" and everyone else is normal. I did have counselling years ago and it helped alot. Be sure to be open and honest about how you are feeling. Don't hold back because you think they might think you are different in a bad way. This happens to more people than we realize and they've heard it all! To help get through the intense anxiety, I drink Yogi Tea. I like "Stress Relief" with lavendar in it, not the one with Kava. 
    • Posted

Hi Karen u are off work for six months, was work making u more depressed, or, he did u survive cash wise, so u are going back to work now, good luck.
    • Posted

I originally took off in January for carpal tunnel surgery. I had both hands done and they don't do them at the same time. It can take a couple of months to recover. I had gone off meds several months before to switch to Saint John's Wort, but it didn't help enough and I slowly was slipping and didn't realize it until the crash in February. I was hoping to get back to normal in the time of the surgery recovery, but it is taking a lot longer. But I think I will be going back very soon.
    • Posted

That's great dear, do u feel ashamed in taking medication, bcoz it helped l do not, does citalprom affect your sex mood, it does for me sometimes, but its better than the depression.
    • Posted

No, I am not ashamed to take it. I just would rather not take any kind of pill for health reasons. I am taking flouxetine, and yes, it does affect sex moods for me. Wish that wasn't the case, but I think it is pretty common. But like you said, it's better than depression/anxiety/OCD.
  • Posted

Hi l am 40 mg citalprom but l take them 10minutez before bed, what time do u take yours dear,citalprom however takes about 1 month to kick in.
    • Posted

You have a very high doze I am on 10mg today will be my 10th dose I take it at 16:45pm everyday same time.dont know when to take them but I think it doeant matter or does it?what side effects u had when u first started??
    • Posted

They can make u feel sleepy, that's all are u having any sideeffects
    • Posted

It is my 11th day today on citalopram 10mg slept much better for the first time feeling much better inside but very less apetite n still dry mouth drinking plenty of water n camomile tea helps no sugar.I have cut coffee to 0 cups a day and I used to drink 5-7cups a day as I had stressful job. plus I quit smoke after 14yrs and its my second week.so iam going through tough time but its better to go through once for all.I dont drink alcohol at all three years now.my skin getting better day by day and mood is up.I hope it will keep like that.going to go for food shopping later thats my next challange will see how I can coope with panic desorder down there.I started ro read books I ordered in amazon about how to tackle panic attaks and how to build up self confidence CBT.really helps.will keep u updated.iam seeing weired dreams though lol
    • Posted

Ayesha,

Sounds like you are improving as well! So glad to hear it! You are brave to go from 5-7 coffee to 0! I have gone from 1 to 0! lol I cant comment on the smoking as I am a non smoker but AWESOME is all I can say! Grocery store may be a challenge but you can do it!! (breath)

Last night was a bad night for me but that is to be expected.. No panic but waking and thoughts! I am at work today (2nd day back) hoping I can get the whole day in.. The dry mouth is a normal side effect of Cit and your apetite will come back. Mine has. I had lost 12 pounds when this all started about a month ago and gained 5 back when I started eating.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.