My 10year-old daughter had HSP for 5 months and now is doing well

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to give some lights to the ones who are suffering the HSP. My daughter has been diagnosed with HSP this April. She had light symptoms only spots on the body, no other symptoms. The doctors didn't give her any medicine, they said for that no effective treatment is available. They asked her to be off the school for the first two weeks, which her spots were gone completely. Then the doctor said she could start school. Unfortunately she got the spots back immediately, as long as she moved a bit, it came again. The doctor said it is ok, but it's not ok for us, we quite often keep her at home for rest.

In the meanwhile, we noticed that if she took big quantity of meat, it went worse. We cut off the meat for a while, it improved a lot. But the doctor said it's coincidence. We do believe the food plays its role.

She got blood in her urine, sometimes also tiny protein. We need to do regular urine check for couple of years. After 5 months, so far it didn't come back, she could attend the normal sport course, swimming course, we hope it's the end of this horrible disease. 

What I want to say it is really annoying disease, but it will go away. But it takes long time to disappear, some weeks or months or even a year.

We do what we could do to support kids, e.g. buy organic food, not let her too tired, get enough rest, keep warm not to take cold etc. But each disease has its length depending on individual, so keep patient and the light is ahead. 

Wish all the ones who suffer from it will be better soon.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your post. My 10 year old daughter has only just been diagnosed this week. She is very annoyed about missing school and can't understand why she might have to keep going to the doctors all the time. She doesn't want to be sick. I am worried about her symptoms becoming worse over time. It is useful to hear any advice you have about managing this illness. Thanks.

• Posted

It is not only annoying for her, but mainly for parents. I am sure that you are more worried about the disease. My daughter had this back and forth, she got all the spots gone, but then once she took the flight, it all came back with worse situation. Then she's been off 2 weeks from school completely, it was much better, but once she started school, worse again. You need to be prepared for the long period, even the internet says normally it takes 6 to 12 weeks. 

?But normally the spots don't need to worry, she need to check the urine regularly to see if any red blood or protein, especially for girls.

• Posted

Hi Ling, We are in a similar situation. Our daughter had HSP last year and it's gone now (Just like your kid, she does protein/urine tests every couple of months). We also felt that during the sickness certain foods aggravated her HSP and hence kept her on a bland diet as much as we could. I wanted to check with you if you are doing anything in particular to reduce the chances of a recurrence in future. In our case, we have been trying to build up her immune system via regular exercise, healthy food, probiotics etc.We are also giving her vitamin D (as there seems to be studies showing correlation between vitamin D deficieny and auto immune diseases), vitamin C tablets etc. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.