my 12 year old daughter started suffering panic attacks, what shall i do?

Posted , 1 user is following.

a year ago i started suffering panick attacks due yo an AD i took. cut a ling storey short tgis led to depression.

im now takung 50mg sertralune a day and have been for 10 minths now. im a lot better.

what im worried about is that my 12 year old daughter has started having panic attack 2 or 3 times a week, qyute bad ones.

i kniw hiw it feels so i know how to comfort her.

why is she having this all of a sudden?

is it a kearnt behaviiur from seeing me ?

she a cinfudent popular girl witg no real worried shes happy at school and has friends.weve talked abd she said nothing is bothering her that she can think of and thats what scares her more, is she doesnt know why, again i understand this.

what should i do to prevent it getting worse in the future and nit lead to depression or medication in the future?

any advice will be most greatful

thank u

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is learned, but it is also gentics..mix those two together. It doesnt matter anyway. Still have to help her and you. It is also epidemic amoung kids now, they are slammed with too much media, too much on time, too much information. Its hard. No real down time anymore.

first thing ti do is find a therapist. And get her into an appointment. You want therapy and you want cbt. Both. Then would be lovely if both of you can join a yoga class together. Teaches how to self calm and how to breathe. 

Go thru your home and clean uo the kitchen. No caffienne, nomorocessed boxed meals..throw it all out. Buy a juicer and get recioies and have veggies and fruits available to juice at all times.  Healthy diets are useful and do make a difference. And help the body bounce back faster. 

• Posted

Thank you, i really do think you are rite, kids have too much on time, technology ect.

how do i get a therapist? do i ask my dr,

i think yoga is a good idea.

i tried helping her do the slow breathing over the phone when she was panaking but she just couldnt do it!

thanks so much for ur advice.

x

• Posted

yoga can teach her so much about self calming and breathing. Lifetime gift to her. *** You ask her doctor for referrals for a therapist. Tell the doctor whats going on. 

You can help her by never yelling at her for it and getting her real help.  When a full panic attack is in motion they last 10-15 minutes..she cant use logic during that time. The body already shot out the adrenaline in her system so it has to run its course. It feels like terror. Raw fear so be kind. You can tell her ice can help a bit. Hold an ice cube or rub it on the nape of her neck and even use ice chips in her mouth. The  body goes to regulate the body temperauture so it gets sidetracked. Not a cure, its a trick that lasts a few minutes. Cant keep holding ice haha shell get frostbite.  Five minute thing.

• Posted

im going to do all what you have suggested, gonna buy a juicer off amazon tonight. taking her swimming tomorrow and we may do some yoga on sunday at home. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.