My 16 yr old daughter

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter came home from an after school event Friday about 6:30 and said she had started to have some pain in her lower abdomen about 5:00.  By 6:45 she was in tears with the pain in her lower right side.  I took her to ER.  They thought appendicitis but CAT scan showed that was not the case.  She had an ultrasound and it showed an ovarian cyst.  Sent us home ( at 7 AM Sat) with naproxen for inflamation and pain.  She still has pain, nothing like it was Fri night.  The pain started to get better until after she was up and around yesterday when she said it had gotten a bit worse.  I  am going to have the hospital send the reports to her Dr. and going to see him today.  I am hoping he can give her something for the pain so she feels better and can go back to school.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and how long the pain lasts.  Any advice would be really appreciated.  Thanks.

Maimse

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can tell you when I have the bad flare ups of pain they usually last maybe 2 days or so... and they are worse during ovulation time and during my actual cycle time.  Not sure if this matches up with her pain or not.  Naproxen does help my pain if I catch it early enough.  I have had to make sure I know exactly when those 2 times of the month are and start taking it the night before or the morning of.. that usually helps me out a lot!  Hopefully this will help her and hopefully you can get some answers from the Dr as well.  Good luck! 
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your input and sharing your experience with these nasty little cysts.  Her Dr. read the report and it turns out the cyst had ruptured, too bad the ER Dr. didn't tell us that...  He gave her Percocet for the pain and said she should be feeling better by Thursday.  If it continues for another few months she will have to go on the pill which willregulate it all.  I am crossing my fingers that she doesn't have another episode.  We are keeping track of everything from this point on.  Thanks again
    • Posted

So sorry they didn't catch the rupture and that she had to go thru that extra pain!  Hopefully things get back to normal for her and she doesn't have to go on the pill (if not wanted)!
    • Posted

ThanksReally dont want her to go on the pill right now.  However if it is going to help I guess we have to give it a shot..I dont ever want to see her go through this again.  Have a good night.
  • Posted

my personal expierence was not bad i actuaully didnot know i had such a massive cyst, i was only 15 at the time, i called mine FRED. it was so lage it wrap around my back and up to my liver, bt it was not visual, i found out not because i had pain but i was going to my yearly check ups and my DR said she felt a mass, ask if i was pregnant, which i wasnt, well i has an MRI taken and it revealed it was so large and it shifted many of my organs, well i had to get surgury to remove it but i did not loose any of my ovaries because it was attached to my tube.

I suggest that you talk to the DR and consult with them to take the correct actions, but if they give you an option, i would elect surgery, yes i have a small scar under my underwear line, but its better then having pain or feeling unconfortable like me, this provoked with to have 13- 16 day period and caused to me animec.

I hope this help and i will be praying fo your daughter, good luck and i hope evrything goes well

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  Her Dr. read the report and turns out it was a ruptured cyst which was causing so much pain.  Gave her pain meds and said if it comes back for a few months in a row that birth control pills will help.  Fingers crossed another episode doesn't occur.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.