my 17yr just diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 16yr was just diagnosed 2  months ago  with UC (left side).    Our current doctor has placed him on Pentasa, while it has made things a bit better, it appears that now he has more blood in his stool and still diaherria.  This has been going on since end of August.  He has now also developed c.diff for which he has been put on Flagyal. He has 1 more dose of flagyal and now doc wants him to start on Uceris & continue on the Pentasa.  

went for a second opinion and new doc recommended Prednisone & Colazal instead.   I am so confused and feel helpless at the moment.   I just not sure want direction to go.   Each doctor has a different medicine path.   Hoping someone out there can help shed some light to all of this.   

Worried Mom

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's mostly down to trial and error and one size does not fit all! He needs to keep trying meds until he finds the one that suits best! There are many! Tell him to get plenty exercise, drink lots water and follow a high protein diet. All of that helps me 5 years now with the condition. Just keep on working with the consultant and have your son record anything that makes him feel better  also what's makes things worse. Keep on this forum too for advice! Good luck! Try to stay positive, it's horrible, I know!

• Posted

Pentasa is the drug mezalazine which is a salicylate (a kind of aspirin which works to control inflammation in the bowel). Colazal is balsalazide which is also a salicylate so similar.

It seems that for most people first diagnosed with UC the standard treatment is a combination of corticosteroids (Prednisolone) and salicylates to get the diarrhea and bleeding under control. Once that is achieved the steroids will be slowly tapered and then just the salicylate used ongoing.

Doctors don’t want people on steroids any longer than absolutely necessary because of the long term damage they can do and maybe that’s why your son’s first doctor didn’t prescribe them but if the salicylates alone aren’t working to control the symptoms, I can understand why the second doctor suggests trying an combination of steroids and salicylate.

• Posted

Hi, sorry for the diagnosis. Are you in UK? The beginning of treatment includes trying several forms of medication as said by others. The docs try and avoid steroids if possible as can cause sideaffects esp in a young person. Some consultants recommend a low residue diet, easy digest foods, info available on internet. It is important to stay hydrated and avoid anaemia, hopefully you have been told about this by the doctor. Crohn's & Colitis UK can give you help and advice and they have a facebook page with lots of people contributing.

The gastric teams at St Mark's London and John Radcliffe Hosp Oxford are recommended as being the best in the UK. We would certainly speak v highly of Oxford.

Good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Mari.  i am on balsalazide & have been on a few different meds including pentasa. pentasa was ok for a short while, but i kept flaring & having to have periods on oral prednisolone to calm it down. i have found balsalazide the most effective 5asa drug with no side effects. prednislone has always been  my lifesaver when flaring to get things back under control. xx

• Posted

I'm a 20 year old female now had UC for 10 years it's not an easy road and they will try you on a lot of different drugs but just keep trying until you find the one that works for you I found that if it doesn't work or I see no change in 4 weeks it's not working for me but everyone of different.

Personally I had a bad experience with Pentasa but a friend of mine was on it for nearly a year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.