My 18 year old daughter on cymbalta for 4 weeks and feels worse than before

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 18 year old was on 40mg celexa for a year and didn't help her depression much, so Dr switched her to cymbalta 4 weeks ago, started @ 30 mg then had her go to 60mg, and she had bad crying jags and feeling hopeless, so Dr took her off, it's been a few days, she goes back to Dr on Tuesday and Dr said she may increase dose to 90mg. How would that help when she was so bad on the 60??? Why put her in an ssni and not an ssri? I'm so very worried don't know how to help!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nancy. I am so sorry that your daughter is struggling so and I can understand your concern. Is she seeing a GP or a psychiatrist? At this point I think I would be more comfortable if I were you if she was seeing a psychiatrist. Just my take on the situation. Antidepressants do have lots of side effects and can take several weeks to adjust to but your daughter's side effects seem a little extreme. 

Please let us know how she is getting along. Diane. 

• Posted

The doctor is a psychiatrist. We are going tomorrow afternoon. Just so worried, of course that doesn't help her to see thst, so I just lie awake at night, lol!

• Posted

Hi Nancy, it's a perfectly valid question to ask the psychiatrist as to why go on a higher dose, but it may have been her depression which was causing the issues on 60mg rather than the medication. Like Adldiane says it does take time to start to work and it's not unusual to experience some side effects on starting. SSNI's are good with anxiety and depression and work slightly differently to SSRI, but I'd suggest going go see the psychiatrist with a note of all the questions you have in yours and your daughters mind. There are other anti depressants to try also as it is trial and error to find the right one. Neil

• Posted

Hi again Nancy. I understand your worrying as I have a son and a daughter also. While raising teenagers I don't remember sleeping much. I think until you can get her regulated on meds and maybe some therapy it will be a bumpy ride. It usually takes several weeks for these meds to work. I tried several  before I found one that worked but when I found the right one I started feeling better in a short time. I know it's hard on both of you so please write here as much as you want or need to. People here know how it feels to hurt and we will support you! Diane. 

• Posted

Thanks so much! It means alot to be able to share my fears and concerns.
  • Posted

It means a lot that you trust us at a very difficult time. Please keep letting us know. I really want to know how the doctors appointment goes. Diane
    • Posted

She went to her dr appt today and my daughter admitted she has alot of suicidal ideation, but that what keeps her from doing it is the thought of me, her dad, and her boyfriend. The dr enencouraged her to never hesitatr to go to the hospital e.r. or call a help line If things get too dire. She will go back on the lower dose of cymbalta tonight. I feel like I'm living in a nightmare, so concerned I can barely eat, just trying to be strong and positive for her.

• Posted

Nancy 

She will be feeling the side effects of the medication, they should reduce over time. Generally speaking if the Doctor keeps increasing the dose to get to the prescribed level it will take longer to get used to that level. of medication. It may be the Doctor may increase once more then your daughter will be on the prescribed dose. It all depends on your daughter and setling at the new level

One thing you need to understand if your daughter would need to change the drug again She would suffer withdrawal so it is a good idea to try and tough it out, A different medication may cause other side effects and the treatment may take longer because of drug withdrawal/ and the new proposed medication

In my case I as ill for around three weeks ten years ago then my medication was increased before I reached the prescribed level.. Now I am ok on my medications, so I hope all works out for her. Your GP will know what She is trying to achieve, trust Her

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.