My 18 year old son.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My son was diagnosed with nerve damage 4 months after an appendectomy operation. The intense, stabbing pain is on the tiny scar on one of the incisions they made for laparoscopy. He is been suffering for 2 years. He is on Pregabalin and a load of medication along with the many procedures he has had. Still struggling. Sad to see. Does anyone have any ideas how we can move forward?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Has anyone done anx ray to make sure that nothing has been left inside him?
  • Posted

I'm so sorry your son is having to go through this pain. I can relate to it because after arthroscopic surgery on my right knee due to torn cartilage I have been struggling with this pain on and off for several years. However, it seems all the more cruel for a young person to have to deal with this. My heart goes out to you.

The things that have helped me most are ice packs, Gabapentin ( having tried several other medications this is by far the most effective) and keeping busy as a way to distract me from the burning stabbing pain. It's extraordinary that so little is known about this type of pain, even though it seems that many people are suffering. I sincerely wish the best for your son and hope he can get some relief. 🌺

• Posted

I feel for your son, he's too young to be hurting this way !!

Sounds like tome there is some nerves involved that is making him hurt ?

I don't know what doctors who have taken him to, but he should see a neurologist and have some tests done !

Hopefully, he has had an m r i and x-rays done also ?

He could some nerves that are pinched or compressed?

Good luck, I hope you find the right doctor who can help your son !!

Donald Goss

• Posted

After suffering for years with acute pain caused but trapped nerves, I can feel for your son.  Mine was in my spine, which were nerves pinched by a disc.  I can only tell you of my own experience and possibly after your son had his operation a nerve or nerves were trapped or pinched?  

I had an operation on my spine in April this year to repair the disc and trapped nerves after nearly 18 months and ending up in a wheelchair,  I am now free of pain and walking!

I would advise your son that he needs to see his GP and get referred back for further investigation.  It is too long to be in so much pain.  He at least needs an MRI or a CT scan to investigate the cause of his pain.

Best wishes to your son and I am sure that with perseverance he will get an answer and be pain free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.