My 22 year old son has been diagnosed with acute pancreatitis after surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

We are started week four in the hospital and my son isn't getting better. Three weeks past his original diagnose we were told his pancreas was basically dead. He has had nothing by mouth since surgery. Today we were told his liver and kidney numbers were elevated, possibly due to yet another infection. Is this normal? Apparently we are in one of the best hospitals in NYC but this place is beyond bad.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My BF was in the hospital 5 wks, 3 of them in ICU. Everyday was a roller coaster ride, one day better then another day I believed he would leave me. It took a lot for me to stay positive. He has sepsis, elevated liver, severe dilirium, induce ocoma, brown urine. Sorry for the details but keep your head up, he's young, he has that going for him. It's a long road, we are still dealing with ours and it started March 4th.
    • Posted

Had sepsis sorry
  • Posted

Hi ! 

Acute pancreatitis is difficult to deal with. I was diagnosed with it last January. Yes, it's normal not to eat anything while in the hospital. Your son will be fed nevertheless by liquid nutrients in order to rest his pancreas. Once the infection has healed up he will improve as he is a young man. I was lucky insofar as my kidneys were also infected, but I recovered fairly quickly and am now on the road to recovery. It's a difficult time at the moment for you but remain positive and I'm sure the doctors in the hospital will look after him well. All the best and good health to your son.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.