My 3 month anniversary....

Posted , 8 users are following.

So Wednesday was my anniversary. It's a bit like having a new boyfriend (you count anniversaries in weeks and months) but less hassle cheesygrin The hip had done just fabulous. The only times I have had any issues have been when I (a) went to the insane hospital physiotherapists and (b) completely overdid it at work one day. The first I dealt with by not going back. The second was unavoidable as I had a deadline for a second stage £9 million bid for my city, and so it had to go in and I had to work until it went in. My manager was great though and totally got the reason for the call the next day saying I wouldn't be in! He'd  seen that I was struggling but not giving up, and I had a lovely email from him as a thank you. And "the worst" had only been some pretty bad aches. So I have really got off lightly....

So Wednesday was also the lifting of my travel ban. I was disappointed not to have any news headlines about this. So I can now do short haul. I promptly booked myself flights to Greece at Easter for me and my dog. Ok, it would have been nice to drop everything and just take off, but not all that convenient. Plus Easter is a great time. I have loads of unused leave from this year, so for 9 days leave I will get nearly three weeks off due to all the bank holidays. Three weeks of sunshine. Yay!!!!

So, of course, the only downside to all this is that darned ankle. But this week I challenged myself to ditch the crutches and use only my stick for the whole week. That isn't quite as exciting as it sounds, as I had almost nowhere I needed to walk to! Around the house, around the office, from the car outside the office... Not exactly a half marathon! But I have also been trying to get at least two 5 minute sessions on the treadmill per day, and more when I am working from home or not working. So the good news is that even with my still limited mobility, I have lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks. That is huge for me, as I piled on so much weight last year when I spent most of the year unable to walk to the kitchen! 

Still working on the whole 60th birthday thing. Central America will have to wait until next year. So I am planning two holidays over a month. The first is a cruise on a working ship up (and back down) the Scandinavian coast, sailing from Newcastle to Bergen to pick up the boat. That avoids flying in case I am pre-op / post-op for the ankle. And then I will collect my dog and proceed to Islay for the Islay and Jura whisky trail, spending my actual birthday at the Laphroig distillery, where I own I square foot of peat bog I have never yet visited!!!!

So all in all, the future is bright and sunny! Which is great because right now it's snowing...

3 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Beth,happy to hear how well you are doing.I had the LTKR and learned my left hip was bad ,then my right hip .It was about 3 years of pain punctuated by my disabled husband had a heart attack with a triple bypass . I I am now walking with a cane both in the house and started yesterday . It is slow going but that's ok .I believe because the femur fractured and did not heal wee ,and I was not allowed to participate in PT so I did not get to build muscles in a directed fashion . It is taking longer to build strength . I was supposed to go back to work today but I was given 2 extra weeks off . I could get up to 12 weeks off but because of the other surgeries as the 3 have occurred in 18 months .I must tell you I just feel kind of exhausted from the last couple of years .I am so grateful that it feels like I can get things back on track but still have an underlying feeling of fatigue . I'm not sure why but it is there .But still moving forward . Glad your doing well .

• Posted

Hi Beth how you doing. You are smart one . I can't log in because I forgot my password. I used to get email what is happen on forum but I was not active for few days and now I have a trable to go on forum or received email what is happen. I have appointment in hospital 16 of March and than I will find out what will happen with next hip. Next Monday it will be 5

months anniversaries. Hip is not so bad but opsite hip getting worse. Can you he.p me what to do with log in and received email agains. I feel guilty not responding to onother people and not to give tham some advice .

I would not survived without this forum.

Big hug Madla

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.