My 3 year old daughter has focal epilepsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

My daughter was diagnosed with focal epilepsy in April and since 

then she's been on medication to try control the seizures. The dose was put up 4 weeks after starting due to the medication not stopping the seizures but it did reduce them. it seems now after around 4 weeks that the seizures are becoming more frequent again. Is the normal? I've been asked for a diary and videos for next appointment with consultant but very had to catch the seizure due to them been so quick. Any advice please 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My son stopped having seizures completely within 2 weeks of starting medication. I was told that often it takes 2 types of medication to stop them. He never had another after 2 weeks. Before medication he was having up to 50 in a 24 hour period. Once on medication they gradually reduced. Seizure free for nearly 4 years. So now they want to stop medication.
    • Posted

I don't now how u coped my daughters were averaging once ever 6 months that we were aware of. Hers were lasting 50 minutes. Hope they've stopped for your little one praying my daughter grows out of them x

• Posted

My sons were only short he's never had what you would class as a proper seizure. Thank goodness. He would just suddenly put both arms out to the side straight for a few seconds, rigid. Then the arms would go down and he would carry on as normal. They started lasting up to about a minute by day 3 (just standing rigid with his arms out and head turned to the side) but the medicine kicked in quite quickly and they reduced over a week until stopping.

I thought focal seizures were very quick ones? You say your daughters last longer. I may be wrong but I thought they were usually quite quick ones just in the front focal part of the brain.

• Posted

Am not sure her consultant has been on his holidays an last time she had one I video'd it an the consultant standing in said its looks like focal epilepsy he read threw her notes an said there was enough history to confirm it cos it's only ever one side of her body that goes. She's got her EEG next week so take it from there. Can't wait to speak to her consultant tho xx

• Posted

Hi tammy how has your daughter been?? My little girl has started her highest dose on carbamazepine she's already had one seizure while on meds just praying there's nomore. Her consultant said there was abnormal waves in EEG so waiting on MRI results back now x

• Posted

Hi Katie, she's had her meds put up to 6ml 2x a day but still having regular seizures everyday. There not as bad as they were before she started the medication so I suppose that's something. How olds your daughter? Carbamazepine is really good and works really well with certain seizures so fingers crossed it works for your daughter. The MRI results will give you some sort of idea of why she's having the seizures, so fingers crossed your not waiting too long for the results x

• Posted

Am going chase the consultant back up tomorrow she was having them every 6 months since she's been on medication she's had 2 in 2 weeks. 1 were she come out of it herself an 1 were she needed to go hospital for them to stop it. She was 6 Saturday. It's all new to me as doctors were putting it down to febrile convulsions xx

• Posted

She had meningitis so am assuming it might of damaged the brain an it's coursed them because that's when the seizures started X

• Posted

Some children can have seizures and adults and never know the cause so where quite "lucky" if that's the word to use.. as we have a reason to why there happening. She will never grow out of them. There just apart of her daily routine now, I'm hoping we get some control over them before September next year as that's when she start school. Does your child no when they are going to happen or after it's happened? It could be a number of reasons why she has them but epilepsy gets picked up on the eeg so if it's showing abnormal activity then hopefully they will have answers to why when you get the results. Did she have a seizure when having the eeg? X

• Posted

We were given no reason for my son having epilepsy. Nothing showed on MRI. Abnormal brain activity showed on the eeg.

Thankfully medication has stopped them. He has been on Carbamazepine 5ml twice daily. He was on 3ml for 1 year then 4 ml for a year then he remained on 5ml for the last 2 years. They want him weaned off. They put the dose up as he grew. But the plan is to wean him off next year and see what happens. Hope you find a medication that works. I was told its unusual for just one medication to work. The consultant said most children take 2 different types for focal epilepsy. So if it doesn't work I'd ask for help. Good luck.

• Posted

No she hasn't got a clue when there happening. Does ur little one?? am panicking over putting her into school in September myself because there happening more now. We've up'd her dose to 7ml so praying that stops them. Her seizures are different all time one of them lasted 50 minutes. It's not fair on them there only babies wish there was something we could do to take them away xx

• Posted

How olds your little one?? Hopefully R's will be same now on these meds then we can get her weaned off them. AV googled side affects on carbamazepine an one of them says head aches going give her till tomorrow an ring consultant. My consultant isn't very good tho to be honest he hasn't got any answers for us. He's booked us in with elpieosy nurse maybe she can tell us abit more x

• Posted

I got a second opinion from another hospital. Can you not do that? I did find the epilepsy nurse quite helpful too. My first hospital didn't have an epilepsy nurse. The one where I went for a second opinion did. But now the original hospital has one. So I've stuck with that hospital as its nearer.

The second opinion was well worth it though. Quite different views on epilepsy from both hospitals.

• Posted

The consultant secutary has rang me back today an said there still waiting on MRI results hell ring me when he gets them. An to give her a few more weeks for medication to kick in so just a waiting game really. There referring me to epilepsy nurse aswel so gotta wait for that hopefully I'll no more then. Hearts in my mouth letting her go back to school Tuesday really don't wana let her go back

• Posted

That's good they've got back to you. I pushed and pushed for my daughters results, it can be quiet stressful waiting but try not to worry too much. She will be fine at school, they will put a care plan in place and inform you straight away if your daughter needs you. its best your daughters distracted as that's suppose to help reduce the seizures. When my daughter gets tired she has more or when she's done too much the day before. I hope your results are back for next week and you can be more clear on what happening and why x

• Posted

Hi Tammy just a quick one when ur little one started meds did they have more seizures my little one has had 4 seizures in 5 weeks now. Before the meds she was averaging 1 every 6 months she's been on meds since 3 Aug an Been on highest dose for a week x

• Posted

Hi. My daughter has between 4-8 seizures a day. They've become less intense but she's still having them. It takes time for the medication to work and to get the dose right. It's all awaiting game. The seizures won't be fully under control until her teens the consultant said. I'd give it another couple of weeks and see how she goes, if no change and more seizure acure then contact the epilepsy nurse and see what they advice. They will probably advice you to keep a diary of time they happen and what she's doing the time they happen, note her temperature and what she's eaten. just takes time. Try not to worry xx

• Posted

Have been doing the diary an taking videos of them. I still haven't seen epilepsy nurse waiting for appointment it's 5 weeks on meds now so hopefully they'll kick in soon. Does ur little one get tired after them xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.