My 4 month Orlistat Journey

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been reading this forum for pretty much most of the 4 months that I've been on Orlistat. I started it in August 2010.

I've had a lot of great tips on here and thought it was time that I contributed myself instead of just being all take take take!

When I started Orlistat I was 114kg (17 stones 13.33 pounds) and now I'm 95.8 kg (15 stones 1.2 pounds). I'm pleased with this though I know I could have done much better as for most of the first month I didn't lose anything and a month ago I only lost 3 pounds in a month but I knew what I was doing wrong and knew I was only going to have a very slight weight loss if any.

I said when I first started Orlistat that I wanted to lose 5 stones and I'm over halfway to my target so I'm happy with this. I didn't give myself a time limit, just wanted to see how I went with it.

So how have I done it?

I started going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, also two or 3 days a week would get off the bus 2 or 3 stops from my stop and walk the rest. I'm not doing that now though because of the snow.

I used to eat 3 bars of chocolate every day and I just cut it out, I'm the biggest chocoholic but I want to lose weight more than I need chocolate. I still have stuff with choc chips in but rarely have an actual choc bar now. As a substitute I started buying chocolate meringues from M&S which have only 0.2g of fat and 15 calories in one meringue and that helped my cravings. I also have M&S jelly babies which have 15 cals in each and trace fat (Bassetts have 20 cals in each)

I have cereal bars a couple of times a week like Special K with choc chips or a Frosties bar or a Rice Krispies bar.

I would also have 2 or 3 packets of full fat crisps a day and substituted these for Snack a Jacks and Walkers Baked Crisps.

My weakness is fudge as I love it but its so calorific, I'm not really counting calories though, I started doing a food diary about 3 months ago which has been helpful, I do consume a lot of calories but I can't stand being hungry and if I lose weight slower but I'm not craving anything then thats good enough for me.

I've gone on a bit much for a first post, hope its helpful to someone though!:D

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

aww well done kate i love this forum,especially reading success storys. im on to my 5th week i knew i didnt lose much when i went to the doctors this week as my weight was up and down on the wii so i have used my first month as a learning curve changed my eating habits stopped sweets chocolate,still love my fizzy pop only a bottle a week but still a bottle to much. i have 3 meals a day and fruit in between. back at the docs in two weeks so hopefully ill do better. G x
  • Posted

you say a bottle too much but these tablets aren't about eliminating everything you have, [b:5e350bc3a4]moderation is key[/b:5e350bc3a4]. ideally you'll continue to eat as you are now when the time comes to leave the tablets.

i still have a can of fizzy pop at lunch (usually a diet one) and drink green tea, regular tea, water and squash the rest of the time

• Posted

Hi KateLizA

Well done on the weight loss.

I agree with you that it is better to lose weight slower and to make changes that you will stick to and gradually if necessary.

You know what works for you and stick to it.

keep up the good work smile

• Posted

Well an update from me, I had a weigh in just after Xmas and managed to lose 4 pounds which I was esctatic about as I was down to 92.5kg. I rarely drink though and only had 2 drinks on Xmas day, did eat a HUGE roast dinner and I had the turkey skin too which I love. Took my tablets as normal and had orange the next day and I was expecting that! Was worth it though, I wasn't going anywhere so it didn't bother me.

Had a good time over New Year as had a few days off work so enjoyed myself and was expecting a weight gain of up to 6 pounds but I only put on 0.2kg so on my last weigh in I was 92.7kg.

How do people cope with just having 1500cals a day? Is that because you're not doing any or little exercise? I try to have a piece of citrus fruit in the morning before I start work but don't always manage it and then at 11 I have probably the most calories of my day then as it needs to keep me going until I get home at about 5pm.

• Posted

Hi KateLizA

Well done only only gaining 0.2 Kilos you are obviously doing everything right. Keep up the good work. :D

• Posted

Hi KateLizA

Great weight loss and the slower it comes off the more likely it will stay off.

I find I have to write everything down as it helps me focus. I stick to 1500 calories and 30g fat and to be honest I struggle to reach the 30g. I don't do much exercise as I have constant nerve pain which is restrictive but I do walk alot with my dog.

I quite like the Alpen light bars as they are only about 61 cals and 0.8g fat. I like to cook the Rosemary Conley recipes too.

Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.