My 4 year old has these symptoms, must be PF

Posted , 3 users are following.

My son had his first attack of what I am now sure is PF on a plane on a NIGHT flight aged about 3. Was screaming and writhing in agony and clutching at his bottom, but we were completely mystified as to what was happening. Also not very popular on the flight.. Then he woke from sleep at 12.30 the other night, again crying out in obvious extreme pain, could only tell us he had a \"sore bottom\" but was once again completely wild with the pain, leaping in and out of bed. So upsetting to watch and not be able to do anything. Another attack last evening, crying and shouting for half an hour, clutching himself. Gave him ibuprofen mostly to feel like I was doing something to help, but pain had passed before the painkiller could really have kicked in. So having read your comments, I am reassured that it is 'nothing sinister' but so sad to discover there is no real cure and that he is likely to have more attacks as he grows up. He is too young to be suffering like this and not even able to understand why. I ended up crying with him in frustration (good parenting - not!). Would love to hear from other parents. Is it very unusual in childhood?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear that your son has the symptoms at such a young age. It might be worth getting him checked out at your GP. I have no memory of PF before my late teens/early twenties. The best thing for someone so young is a heat source like a hot water bottle. One for him to sit on and another for his stomach. Keep a record of the attacks so you can judge the frequency and whether it is improving or getting worse. A hot drink might also help if you can persuade him to take it when he's suffering.
  • Posted

Hi, my 5 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with PF, they said it was very rare in children to get this espscially in girls. She wakes up in the night screaming in pain. The doctor gave us Werbentyl Syrup for it, it is not a cure but helps to relax the muscles in her bottom. I will say it does help but they say there is no cure for it. Both my mum and sister has this complaint but it has only been in adulthood. I do not suffer from this myself. Is there anybody out there that has a young girl child who suffers from this as all a have read its about men getting it
  • Posted

From various internet sites, PF appears to be statistically slightly more common in women than men. It's also said that it tends to come on in puberty. I've only recently read about young children being afflicted, but clearly they can be. It's very sad that this is the case. My daughter (now 24) has had a very occasional attack but luckily for her only slight. She didn't suffer as far as we know until her late teens.
  • Posted

I am a woman in my early forties, with a self diagnosis. I remember suffering from this from my early childhood - probably aged eight or nine, and have suffered from it since. This is the first time I have heard of other children having the same symptoms. I didn't pluck up the courage to tell anyone until I asked my female doctor, about ten years ago, but she seemed to find it embarassing and amusing and thought it must be psychosomatic. Thank goodness for this site. Both my sons suffered with severe and frequent pain aged around three, but I think it was related to anxiety over toilet training and subsequent constipation. The older one is now thirteen and I'm not aware he has continued to have problems. The younger one is on regular Movicol and much improved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.