my 4 yr old has molluscum and its getting worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

My 4 yr old has mollusum and its getting worse. Not sure what to do anymore. He started out with about 5 of them and believe he contacted them through daycare. Now he has 22 of them. I took him to see a dermatologist and tried freezing them but he couldnt handle it. Doctor said I can leave them alone and eventually will go away on their own but more are starting to appear. Made another appointment because now Im starting to notice that only in the area where he has them (side of his stomach), his skin is starting to be very dry. Is that nomal when you have these? Does any know of any remedies that works because I really am starting to be concerned. Please help. Any suggestions are very well appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

My daughter started with a few under her arm so I took her to the doctors. They gave me creams to try but it was just getting worse. I stopped using the creams as she was complaining they were getting sore. After a week of putting nothing on they started clearing and have now all gone
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I hope to get the same results as you soonsmile
  • Posted

Smothering them with Sudocream worked for my 7 yr old daughter. She was covered in them and they cleared up within a couple of weeks of using Sudocream .
    • Posted

Hi sarah. Thank you for your response. I might try that creme. At this point, ill try anything. Thanks again!
  • Posted

We used imiquimod - not sure where you can buy this in UK in Aus we can order this from the Royal Childrens Hospital.

I found the best way to use it was to apply a tiny bit with cotton tip right on the molluscum and leave it on top of the skin for as long as you can without them touching it or dressing - such as when watching fav show or an acitivity where they will be still for at least 10 min. I sometimes covered each one with a tiny band aid also after I had applied the cream. We would often stop using the cream due to the skin becoming red around the treatment areas and this hindered the progress of the cream. One doctor suggested phenergan for skin allergies and when the skin was really inflammed I would use this and keep going with the cream and this is how I finally got results. I nearly gave up on many occassions as I thought the imiquimod wasn't working.

We went from one child having it and started with a few and it quickly grew to many all over the body and then his brother contracted it also. Go with this cream sitting ontop the skin for as long as you can and also I used it everyday to every second day.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi lisa. Wanted to thank you for your response. Im going to look up that creme because I live in the US and not sure where i can get that. Thanks again. I feel a little better that Im not the only parent going through this.
  • Posted

Hi I really feel for you my daughter suffered terribly with this. I did a lot of research and tried everything from sudocrem, tea tree oil, new towels daily. The only thing that worked was to kill the core of each spot (this is the contagious bit). I used hyperdermic needles and to avoid distress popped the cores whilst my daughter slept I got rid of them all and let them scab over themselves. they look worse for a few days but so worth it!
    • Posted

Hi katy. Thank you for your response. I never thought to do this and I thought it was a great idea. They do have a little white center. Going to try this and I hope to get the same result as you. I am being extra careful with new towels, bed sheets, his clothing, and still more are popping up. Thanks for the great advise..
  • Posted

Hi Erica. My daughter had it for 12 months and it was continuing to spread. After trying everything I tried duct tape... I know it sounds strange. I covered all her spots with it when she was home and through the night, then used Calamine lotion through the day when she was at school. Although this wasn't good for her exzema, the Molluscum completely disappeared in less than two weeks and has never returned.
    • Posted

Hi Helen. Thank you for responding to me. Someone I know told me the same thing about the duct tape and im glad I know now that it works. I am definitely going to try that. I hope to get the same result as you. It does look bad to anyone who dont know what exactly it is. Thanks againsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.