My 6 year old has reflux, when he grow out of it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm new to here and just looking for some reassurance I guess.  My little boy was diagnosed last year initially with easonophilic oesophagitis after having an endoscopy and 24hr ph study (ph study wasn't accurate as he was so sick all the time it was in).

He had always suffered with chest inf as a baby and as a result had many stays in hospital and was even on long term low dose amoxicillin.  As he got older the chest infections got fewer and vomiting took over.  In a normal day he would be sick upto 6 times, most of these episodes were over night.  We decided we needed listening to so ended up paying privately as I had an idea that it was reflux due to the cough that would start as soon as he lay down, this wouldn't subside until he'dommitted. We wanted to have it sorted before he started school to avoid him being sent home all the time and missing out.

The consultant prescribed him some meds to help but quite quickly decided that it was reflux and not EO.  We then commenced giving Gaviscon Infant x3 daily and have been for the last 18 months with really good results. He is only ever really sick now when he has a cold and is congested.  I'm probably very wrongfor doing so but we stopped seeing the consultant as each time we went he seemed to say there was another diagnoses.  My son has a very small (pea size) hernia visible on his upper tummy (between his lower chest and upper tummy) which was diagnosed as a baby, our GP acknowledges and so did the consultant once. On subsequent visits he's saying it's not there?!? He then said we were to wean my son off the Gaviscon and if the sickness came back then he would do another endoscopy.  Surely if the sickness returns it shows the Gaviscon is working like we tell him it is and that there is no need to do another procedure.  My little boy really didn't cope well with the general anaesthetic, he was so poorly with sickness immediately and therefore didn't eat, hence the reason the ph test wasn't accurate. Although you could still see there was a lot refluxing on the graph from the ph study.

Forgive me for rambling but we are not sure now if we can just continue as we are with the Gaviscon as it works so well. Does anyone have any similar experience.  It seems very difficult to find anything on reflux in children, it's all babies.  Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this ramble, it's really appreciated xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Nicking, is your son still drinking cows milk.?
    • Posted

Hahaha I knew what you meant.  Thanks for replying so quickly!  He does drink cows milk but we have tried dairy free, egg free and everything else free and none make a difference really. The only thing that does is Gaviscon. We are happy to continue as we are but I just wonder if anyone else is in the same situation. X
  • Posted

How long did you try dairy free. Something I have just come across. Oxalates. Apparantly parents of autistic children have discovered that a low oxalate diet is helping them. They were using the diet to treat autism and found that it was also healing their digestive problems. Google lowoxalate.info. The menu tags on the side of the page give some very interesting reading.
    • Posted

We were dairy free for approx 6 months. But I will look at this, thank you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.