My 66 yr old mum is bleeding, any advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my mum is 66 and gone through her menopause, she's always had quite a few gynaecology problems, she's had lichen sclerosis for years. She had fresh red blood after wiping a couple of times and few months ago had a hysteroscopy and they removed polyps, other than that they said all was OK. She's just phoned me in a panic saying she's bleeding again, (they said removing the polyps would stop any bleeding), should we be concerned, think she's going to phone the hospital again see what they say, I. Telling her not to worry etc probably scratched herself or something but I am concerned it's cancer or something.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have never had a hysteroscoy.  But I did have a colonoscopy.  I had three polyps removed and I bled like I had a period for several days starting on day 2.

Were you with your mum when she had her pre-op visit?  This is important.

Communication is very tricky.  Especially if one person (patient) is nervous about a proceedure. Things that are not stressed by the doctor can be easily forgotten.  We will forget 20% of a conversation after 1 week.  This has been common knowledge for 30 years.  Your mum might have been told that some patients will experience a small bit of blood post-op.  But because it wasn't stressed by the physician that she should pay close attention to this, she might have forgotten it.  

Have your mum make an appointment with the physician that did the surgery.  Go with her this time.  I took my husband with me to the colon doctor appointments and my physician paid special attention to details when he was with me.  When I went to see the physician without my husband he didn't even want to deal with my issue.  It wasn't until my husband was with me stating his concerns and requesting that it be dealt with that I actually got anywhere.

Considering they were inside doing a hysteroscopy, they could see with camera the health and condition of your mum's uterus.  If it had cancer that can cause bleeding, it would be wide spread and they would have seen it.  And if they saw it, they would have to report it.  

For now, don't panic, call and make an appointment.  As women we will feed off the emotions of people around us.  Staying calm will help your mum.

• Posted

Ty for reply, I wasn't with her, my sad went though not sure if he was allowed in with her for pre op. They told her to expect cramping and bit of blood for a few days, but procedure wS done 3 months ago now. She said blood went coming g away more just when you push tissue against self and hold the red be blood on it. And it only does it for a day, next day it's gone?! . She wasn't going to phone hospital again as gone now but I've told her she should go get checked out anyway

• Posted

Good advice from Diana, she should definitely go back and get checked out again, the bleeding is most likely polyps they didn't get rid of or fibroids, both of which can grow quite quickly. Unusual after menopause but not unheard of (I have fibroids post menopause at 59).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.